Saturday, July 24, 2010

Too Many Banana Peppers--Need Your Suggestions

Before we get to the peppers, I want to share a couple of dishes that I make just for myself. I have a small vegetable garden and my two cucumber plants make just enough for salad here and there and my favorite simple dish of chopped cucumbers, onion, salt, maybe garlic if you want and dill. My herbs are really, really happy in this 95 degree weather and I put my dill in a paper towel in the refrigerator and a few days later it's easy to crumble onto this tsatziki that I make. Just add plain yogurt (the Greek kind, yum) or sour cream:

This year I've been making dinner using shrimp. I pick up a 24 oz or so bag of frozen, cooked, deveined shrimp whenever I see it go on sale for about $10 (I get two dinners out of it--just use what I need and keep the rest in freezer). Two dinner faves are making quesadillas --I use a quesadilla maker and put sauteed shrimp, peppers, onions and cumin onto a flour tortilla and sprinkle cheese on top, add the other tortilla, and when done use a pizza cutter to cut into wedges. Or just spoon it into tortillas for a wrap or in place of beef for tacos. Or I make shrimp alfredo the easy way by sauteeing the shrimp and adding a jar of alfredo sauce and then I "homemake it up" by adding my own half &' half, mushrooms, parmesan, onions, and peas.

But for a salad that is just for me, I make this shrimp and tortellini pasta salad:
Cook the tortellini (1/2 a bag), drain, it, defrost the cooked shrimp, add chopped green pepper, any kind of onion, salt & pepper, sprinkle of parmesan, and enough creamy caesar dressing to coat it. Put it on salad greens. I add fresh basil from my happy herb garden.

I am growing a couple of different kinds of peppers in the garden. I have the perfect amount of bell peppers, and one jalapeno pepper plant that is suiting me just fine. BTW, I cut up a couple of jalapenos on the 4th of July to add to a black bean/corn/cilantro/onion/cucumber/tomato salad and used my bare hands while cutting and transferring them to the bowl. Big mistake. My hands were on fire for hours. It was worse than that time years ago when I was in Florida on a girl only getaway getting ready to go out with a good friend and I picked up the curling iron by the hot barrel. I had to hold a cold beer bottle in my hand all night to take away the pain. But for the jalapeno burn (on both hands!) I put my hands in a dish of cold milk (not as fun).

OK, so on to my overabundance of banana peppers. Here they are:

I planted six of these plants (and I didn't even lose that one that had its leaves all eaten by the ginormous hornworm -- I'll spare you the photo again -- but yes, all the leaves have grown back and it's producing lots of peppers. With horns. Just kidding).

Hubs loves these on his sandwiches and what I have done with plenty of them so far is chop the peppers into rings and put them into a jar of pickles that still has all the pickle juice (but no pickles), and keep in the fridge. But that will still leave me with too many. Do they freeze? What would you do?

And the only reason I have any time to make the Greek tzatziti salad for me and the girlish shrimp salad for me is because the boys have left for the beach again for the last hurrah before school starts. Tell me, what would you do if you had a weekend all to yourself??

(I'm missing them but want to make the most of it because my world will rock in a few weeks with three boys in three different schools for the first time--with 3 different wake up times for high, middle and elem school, and three boys on three sports teams again).

10 comments:

Jenni said...

can you roast them? what about using them in a salsa?

that shrimp/tortellini salad looks awesome.

my adventures after said...

You are just so....foodish! Love your recipes. I can't believe I haven't cooked anything this summer, and I have a new stove! Had the EXACT same thing happen with serrano peppers once when making my famous guacamole. Had just given myself a manicure, and cleaned inside my fingernails really good. Deboned those peppers and...O...M...G! Could not believe how it burned, for hours, and hours, and got worse. Never thought of milk, although I know that's how to cure the burn in your mouth. Now, always with gloves or husband does it...with his bare hands!

Wander to the Wayside said...

We just throw the over-supply into quart or gallon ziplock bags and freeze, no prep required other than washing and removing stem, and we don't worry about seeds. Chop up a frozen pepper of whatever kind throughout the winter into soups and sauces or even meatloaf. Your shrimp dishes are just too delicious looking! Let me see...how long a drive is it from Ringgold to where you are?

I have a pepper story that I probably should tell you in public, but will. Many years ago I was putting what I thought was vagisil on my 'privates', but mistakenly put on capsacian. On my privates. You have no idea how painful that was! I even called Poison Control to ask what to do (how embarrassing - it was a man!). He said to put plain yogurt on it, or sit in a milk sitz bath...and that I was not the only one to ever make such a stupid mistake. I'm thinking the same would apply with getting the actual hot off of your hands when prepping a hot pepper.

The Mother said...

I have a wonderful recipe for Indian stuffed peppers. Yummy, but hot. If you want it, shoot me an email.

Wander to the Wayside said...

Of course I meant should NOT tell you in public, which I obviously did anyway!

Kim said...

Now I am hungry. I'll be there for dinner. All of the above sound good, so whichever you feel like making for me is just fine. :)

Ash said...

Look at you - I'm completely impressed. And lacking on banana pepper suggestions. Though I had some on a pizza the other night, and it was great. Thanks for taking pity on us with that worm shot. I still have nightmares.

But dill, oh, yes please on everything! That shrimp salad looks devine.

A weekend to myself? A stack of books, FIOS On Demand and meat at every meal. Maybe some chocolate thrown in for good measure. And no sleep - I would milk every second.

Now excuse me, I must wipe someone's bootie. Sigh.

Lawyer Mom said...

I don't know what to say about your banana peppers! I'm too busy thinking about your shrimp alfredo.

Zion said...

I am just as curious. Every year my friend gives me a huge bag of banana peppers from her garden. I add them to salad and pizza, but have never done anything particularly creative.

Kelly said...

Love love love banana peppers! I haven't gotten but one this year but have a few more almost ready. I love to slice them up and put them on quesadilla's and nachos. Even a piece on a cheese and cracker is good.

(I just posted new CO pics as you were posting. LOL) As much snow as was there when we were (3rd week of July) most of it was where we couldn't touch it. Boys were disappointed!