A couple of police cars approached our house and parked. Hubs said, "Oh--I think I know what this is about."
Note: earlier I had been out doing some errands. And apparently there were some crows that would not shut up. Last week we discovered that in one of the trees in the backyard there is an owl hanging out in a nest and there have been crows going crazy and they actually sound like barking dogs.
Back to the police....they got out of their cars and Hubs approached them and they asked him if he had been outside for a little bit and he said yes. Then they asked if he had heard gunshots. He smiled and said, "No, but I think I know what it was. Hubs asked them if they wanted to see and they said yes.
By this time I was inside the house taking pictures. Of course when I went inside I told the boys, "The police have come to the house to talk to Dad!" They ran around to every window.
When they were on the back porch Hubs showed the police the bottle rockets that he had shot off a little earlier when I wasn't home. They asked him if they go up high in the air and Hubs said yes and the police told him that fireworks on the ground are allowed but none that go up in the air.
Good thing no one called the police on us this past 4th of July or during my 12/31/09 Blue Moon New Year's Eve Party. Going to Alabama on business every few months comes in handy when a certain mom needs to stock up for the family at the Fireworks store.
The police asked him if he had shot off 8 or 9 of them because someone had reported hearing that many gunshots. Hubs told them that it was only 3.
So for now the contraband has been put away. But I am sure those noisy crows will be back today.
Afterward Hubs said, "I have to call my mom--she will get a kick out of this because Dad once had the police show up in Florida when he was doing fireworks for us kids." I told Hubs that yesterday had been 5 years since his Dad had passed away. Hubs said, "Well, I guess I woke him up." And then he had a good chuckle with his mom on the phone about the time 40 years ago that police showed up at their house when his dad had been setting off fireworks for his six kids. Hubs' dad got a lecture, but then as that policeman was walking back to his patrol car, he set off his own bottle rockets just before he got into his police car!
There were no crows or birds harmed during these middle-aged man antics.

6 comments:
Sounds just like Steel Magnolias!
laughed out loud and then had to share this post with Rick...i just love what your husband said to you, "...guess I woke my dad up."
i sure hope the crows don't come back...i would have a hard time not defending the owlets/owl.
Middle aged man antics, HA!
haha I love your hubs reaction: "Well I guess I woke him up!" Great attitude.
I love that you're inside taking pics for your blog! Now there's a die-hard blogger, taking pics of the cops!
If I had a nickel for every time my husband took out a squirrel in our walnut tree..well, he'd be in jail.
Mary
LOL - look at you aiding and abetting.
Tsk, tsk. ;)
Post a Comment