Don’t they say that if you stick to something for 21 days it becomes a habit? Well, I am on consecutive week number three of making plans for myself for Friday night. This past fall and winter, Middle Son played roller hockey and had games on Friday days. Hubs and I both hated that. It was so easy to forget and then at the end of the work day we’d talk on the phone and groan, “omg can’t believe we have to go on Friday night (and it wasn’t at 6:00—it was usually 8:00 or even 9:00 p.m.!!). It was the last thing Son wanted to do either on Friday night so all of us are happier this spring about that.
So earlier this week I made Friday plans with a friend I have known here in town for 17 years (that was pre-children…my oldest son is about to turn 15). Here’s how we met. Hubs and I made a guy friend about 20 years ago who worked on my car. He was married and we all agreed to meet for camping if you can believe that was our first get together and the next year we once went on an island vacation with them—it was awesome to share our secluded spot in the Bahamas. Six months later the wife leaves our guy friend. Six months later it is summer again and we go out to dinner with our guy friend, who brings along new girlfriend. We all got along great and at dinner guy friend invites girlfriend along for the next island vacation…which was planned for 12 months in the future. They remained a couple (despite girlfriend having to hear so much about the prior island vacation with the ex) and we did indeed all vacation together in the Out Islands of the Bahamas the following summer. Two kids later for us we did go on another island vacation together. About five years after this, the girlfriend leaves our guy friend. And we are no longer friends with the guy friend but the girlfriend has remained my friend.
And I am ashamed to say that I haven’t been a good friend this past year by not keeping in touch over the past 10 months and I hope to change that.
Tonight we are going to have Mexican food for dinner so we can spend 2 or three hours talking—an hour at lunch just won’t do to catch up. A couple of days ago I informed Hubs that I was going out again on Friday night. Don’t feel bad for Hubs, because I just called home and talked to Oldest Son and Hubs is with his coworkers at a neighborhood joint, after dropping off Youngest Son at a friend’s for a couple hours. Around the time I will get started on my guacamole and chips, Hubs will be picking up Youngest and driving Oldest to a friend’s. Middle Son gets off the middle school bus at 5:00, will stock up on a snack and water and is allowed to skateboard himself to a nearby park until 7:30 p.m. I have no idea what any of these three children will do for dinner. We are fresh out of cereal except for Honeycomb although I have 4 boxes of cereal in my trunk from my 3x/weekly lunchtime trip to the grocery for items needed. Fortunately I have taught them to make grilled cheese, at which Youngest does the best job in the kitchen.
I think everyone in my house enjoys the break on Friday, including repose from my homework/grades-harping and state-of-the-bedrooms declarations.
TGIF!
7 comments:
love this post...love that you are going out for mexican food with a friend...love that you are not too worried about the dinner plans of your boys'...enjoy that long drawn out meal...with i hope a couple of margaritas too!
t.g.i.f.
You are so smart to claim some time for yourself. It's too easy to get into the habit of letting the kids and the husband set all the activities, and the wife/mother just goes with the flow. Not that that's a bad thing, but it limits who we can be as individuals outside of the wife/mother role. And renewing an old friendship is awesome! I've lost so many of those friends over the years because we moved so much, and I'm terrible about making new ones, so I'm very jealous!
Hope you two had a grand ole time. I kind of wish I was with your kids. I sure like a good grilled cheese.
Those kind of talk forever catch-ups are the best! And now I want some guacamole. :) Hope you had a great time!
makes me wish it was Friday already!
Good for you for taking this time.
I love the story of how you met your friend. So funny.
I am actually going out with 2 of my college girl friends this Friday night and I can't wait. I love having it to look forward to.
It's almost time around here for our Beach Fridays to start up. I can't wait! And one of our favorite things to do after a Beach Friday is to all stop at a favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner on the way home. Last time, it was about 10 moms and 20 kids - crazy! The place knows us now, and they sit the kids at a separate table so the moms can drink our margaritas and relax. Unfortunately, nobody else in the restaurant can relax because our kids are going wild! Good times.
Post a Comment