The Sunday before Christmas has become for years our tradition of taking the boys to the mall to visit Santa. And yes, our boys are in 10th grade, 8th grade and 5th grade. And yes, the two oldest are not thrilled but they no there is no negotiation. They may utter some words of dissent in November but don't say much as the day gets closer and I remind them how on that particular Sunday we leave the house at 8:45 a.m.
Plus, the boys know that after Santa we walk the mall and buy them new clothes as Christmas gifts (that have to get wrapped and then opened on Christmas day).
We were first in line at about 9:20 a.m. which is what we accomplish every year. I sat on the floor and the boys and Hubs walk around a little bit and meet back just before 10:00 a.m. When we arrived a worker for the company that takes and sells you the photos arrived and I asked her if Santa was coming at 10:00 and wihout even looking up from her table she answered yes with a grunt. Why don't I ever say out loud what I thin such as, "Does someone need a hug?" (from Elf).
Santa arrived via a nearby escalator and we were happy to see it is the same Santa for the past five or six years we've gone to this mall. He greets everyone in line and I know he does a mental double take when he sees the two oldest standing there who are about 5'7" and 5'8" this year. I told Santa it's been a 5 year tradition seeing him.
Hubs told Santa that our family rule is to make a visit to him for as long as they live at home. Santa thought it was a great rule. He is the most personable Santa ever, and we love him because he takes a lot of time and asked again this year if they clean their rooms. They struck out on that and then he asked if they fight with each other. They struck out on that too.
At the end of their visit he had them put their hands in for a "Goooo Santa cheer". It all makes me very happy inside.
And then we found some great sales on clothes for the boys and a baseball mitt for Oldest (very little surprises under the tree when they get older but it does not bother them).
And then for our traditional lunch out on the Day We Visit Santa, I heard about a place where you pick out your own "protein" and spices and veggies and sauces like a Mongolian BBQ or stir fry and they cook it and bring it to you in a big bowl and then you can go back for all you can eat. It was really yummy and not crowded until we left--a great choice and a wonderful day.
And then after we read the Sunday paper back at home (yes, we are old fashioned and get the paper once a week) and relaxed for about an hour, it was more cleaning and painting and fixing back at home for us adults.



3 comments:
Your guys are such good sports! I love the Santa cheer---both the metaphoric and the literal versions. Spending the day together this way seems a great tradition and sounds like much fun. I think boys, at heart, might be a bit more cooperative in this vein or at least more indulging of their moms.
My teenage daughter applied for the Secret Witness Program after I drug her into a Hot Topic store looking for a goofy cartoon character hat (Adventuretime's Finn) for her older brother. Her rich, vibrant social life ended in the horror of that moment, apparently. ;)
Merry Christmas!
omgosh...i love it! i love the santa cheer...i love the smiles on your boys' faces...i love this post!
That is just the greatest thing! And as much as they may complain, when they're older, you KNOW they'll make their kids do it too!
Post a Comment