In the spirit of the Academy Awards this Sunday, Gretchen is hosting a Spin Cycle with "movies" as the theme.
I tell my boys that when I was around 10 or 11 in the 1970's I'd ride my bike or walk to a local movie theater either by myself or with friends. They cannot believe that sometimes it was a double feature. As if I'd ever have my 10 year old at the movies alone now for 4 or 5 hours......
I remember sneaking in my Panasonic tape recorder, with a sweater draped over it. It looked just like this:
(when I Googled this image I found it on a site that was selling it as a "vintage Panasonic tape recorder)
I recall bringing in my tape recorder when I went to see the Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music separately. Again, the boys are amazed that those movies played in the theater. When the songs began during the movie, I'd record them. Back at home I'd play them over and over, even writing down the words to the Scarecrow and the Tin Man's solos. That is why almost 40 years later I know those words.
When I was in the 11th grade I started working at the movie theater--located in Westwood Village, CA near UCLA. My brother had worked there previously and was friends with the manager and got me the job. I'd work usually Friday nights and Sundays. It was a great first job experience--I enjoyed it so much--I'd either sell tickets or be at the concession stand. I remember sometimes the owner--Ted Mann--would come in and we'd be prepared to offer him what he wanted to eat. He'd stand there and reach his hand right down into the popcorn bin and scoop out some and eat it.
We would of course watch movies over and over -- during our break with food from nearby, or after work and we'd get free passes to all the 4 or 5 other single theaters in the area. I also worked there the summers after my first two years of college in California. I remember once Tatum O'Neal coming with a friend to see her own movie, "Little Darlings" (I thought that was strange). What is also remarkable is that it was filmed near Atlanta, to where I would then move--about three years later. For some reason that movie was never released on dvd, but years later I consider it one of the most poignant movies ever.
(I love the clip best from about 1:20 seconds in. No one again is as natural looking ast Kristy McNichol, whose smile can light up the whole screen).

2 comments:
What a FUN first job!! I would have LOVED that, getting to see movies for free. I love that Mr. Mann would come in and eat the popcorn with his hand. I remember watching old movies on the big screen too. I guess that since it was before the dawn of VHS, they made more money by issuing a rerelease in theaters. And double features! Had forgotten about them.
You are LINKED!
The "old" movie theater experience is just gone now, isn't it? It's become cost-prohibitive as a hang-out or a quick decision.
What a great first job. It was one of Jason's high school jobs, too, (the theater that used to be out at Gwinnett Place) and he loved it. His time in the projection booth led to a lot of memorization!
Post a Comment