Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It's the Full Worm Moon Tonight

Now technically the moon is at its fullest early Thursday morning but in the nighttime sky be sure to check it out tonight.  That fourth rock from the sun, Mars, will be at its brightest in several years so look for the reddish star to the left of the full moon tonight.

One of the names given to the moon in March by the first inhabitants of this continent is the "Worm Moon" because this month the worms are active under the soil, getting the earth ready for spring planting.  I am always amazed when I dig into my vegetable beds how many worms I see.  So worms, please continue to do your thing with your diet of dirt.  I'll be seeing you next month!

Speaking of eating (I know, what a segue) my 10th grade son is really into eating healthy these days.  I should emulate him as he no longer eats any desserts and has become a huge fan of smoothies.  He is also very interested in what I plan for dinner.  I make dinner just about every night and over the years I've noticed he enjoys it when I put a menu on the refrigerator.  After being at school for 11 hours due to baseball practice or home after 14 hours due to a weeknight baseball game, dinner-- at no matter what time and salad are a highlight.  Way different than when he was a little boy.  Here was last week's menu:

I used to make the spinach shells a lot pre-kids and they would have gagged on them as young kids and I have re-introduced them recently and they love them.  Also, I buy a bag of frozen shrimp every week and this year the jambalaya is a new dinner I make and you should see their eyes light up when they know it's on the menu.

And for breakfast there is still this pantry scene:

A couple weeks ago Hubs did the Target shopping and came home with a slim supply of non-fave cereal and they were not thrilled.

Speaking of Hubs, he leads the line of this feeding frenzy that occurs when after work/school everyone comes into the kitchen ravenous.  He comes home after having a well-rounded lunch made by yours truly every single day...and goes crazy.  He essentially consumes an entire meal before dinner, if dinner is not ready at 5:30 or even 5:00.  On Monday there were two large pancakes on a plate in the fridge--a leftover from Sunday a.m. He comes home and I'm in the kitchen finishing dinner and the next thing I know this is on the plate:

In between the pancakes is deli ham and each pancake is slathered with Miracle Whip.  The rest of us were grossed out.  On the other hand I love a Monte Cristo sandwich so I guess this is a pancake re-make instead of French Toast version and minus the jam for dipping.  (And the counters are clean every day but get trashed with spills within 60 seconds of their arrival home).  And now for past two days he is complaining that his stomach is "off".

3 comments:

InTheFastLane said...

My husband does the same thing after work! I make him a lunch, and I could be in the middle of making dinner and he would be in the middle of raiding the pantry. At least he will still eat his dinner, unlike my youngest child.

gretchen said...

Everybody on Facebook was raving about the moon last night - now I know why! This is SO heartening that your son now eats salad!! PLEASE God let this happen with Jude!

tiff said...

i always love your photos of your cereal cupboard...it cracks me up! i need to put more choices in our cupboard for the boys'!

i wish i could eat all day long and keep a girlish figure...instead i eat all day long and just get fatter and fatter! ugh!