So, high school has been in sesh for a month and our two high schoolers get up super early and drive together. Our 9th grader needs a lot of time in the am so he gets up at 5:35 am. Then they leave at about 6:45. I get up at 6:30 and see them off. They make their lunches every day. Sometimes Oldest leaves his wallet in unbeknownst places and we start the day in a hectic fret.
Besides driving, Oldest has hit some other milestones. He applied for a few part time jobs in the past four months but it took a friend to get him his first job that he started last weekend. Isn't that how it often is? .....knowing someone helps pull you in the door. His friend up the street started working as a busboy at a nearby popular place, where his sister is a waitress. Then they needed another busboy so he suggested Oldest and the mgr said OK. Oldest trained last weekend. He will like having a job, I know.
For work he has to wear jeans and a black t-shirt so tonight we went out to Target and TJ Maxx and he drove and I actually didn't even grab the dashboard once. Progress on my part. When kids drive and parents sit, it makes for good conversation time! Last night I made cookies and there was only an inch of milk left in the fridge so we sent him off to the store, which is an awesome thing. I do still have my freak out moments such as two weeks ago he went to a nearby gas station for a Sunday paper (Hubs still likes a paper--I know, so old school) and he took too long so I hopped in my car to go looking. The dumb gas station had run out so he went elsewhere.
We have a deal that if we need him to run errands we will fill the tank. We have been needing him to go back to the high school almost every day this week (I am swamped at work with afternoon calls) and bring home his 9th grade brother from cross country practice. High school gets out around 2:15 p.m. and Oldest comes home and then goes back to get Middle son at 4:00. We have tried and tried to get some parents together to carpool but so far no dice. Middle son is one of the few 9th grade boys on cross country. One mom told me she would bring him home on Wednesdays. Apparently I forgot to remind him to wear a shirt. Every day when we get him he is chillin out in running shorts only. Last week he rode home with this other mom and he walks in the door with no shirt and I had a fit.
Here is is today after school, in his running apparel, happy and chill as can be, digging in to taco night:
Last weekend Hubs and I drove 1.5 hours to north GA to see him race. It was a beautiful day and here are the varsity boys ready to start:
I was telling Hubs the other day the in one year we will have three teenage boys. Youngest turns 12 in one week. He doesn't leave for the bus until 8:45 am. He gets home at almost 5:00 and that is when I had better have taco time almost ready or something lovin in the oven for these guys.


6 comments:
I am giggling at him not wearing a shirt. My boys are the same way with their priorities not quite matching mine!
Wow, being able to send him out for errands...that's HUGE.
5:35 am? That's so early to me! It sounds like your boys are doing well and oldest is very responsible, contrary to what I hear about most guys his age. You must be really proud of all 3 of them!
Aimee-It is. I can't imagine when I will ever relax about it. Maybe when he moves out.
Messy Mom--I didn't blog about how tough it is to parent teens and some unbloggable moments. If we weren't aware to counsel them and set boundaries??? Whoa. But your note is a good reminder to me to tell them they are responsible and I'm proud.
I'm with Messy Mom. Your boys sound like really good kids. Enjoy this time as much as you can. It's going to go by really fast.
Wow! So crazy that you can let your eldest run some of your errands for you. And I love your deal - I am going to file that away to use in a few years.
And the shirt thing - my son tries to get away without wearing a shirt all the time and it drives me crazy. I insist he wear a shirt around the house!
I know you will appreciate this story. This afternoon I picked up the two oldest from school where they had stayed after to watch the 8th grade football team. My oldest was telling me that a friend of hers wanted to stay after for the game, but hadn't cleared it with her mom first so she called home during the day to ask. My tween was amazed that the conversation between her friend and parent only lasted like 2 seconds - her words. She said "mom if that would have been me you would have had me on the phone for at least 5 minutes with a million questions." And of course she is totally right. And I totally don't mind being that mom!!! I know you don't, either.
I am just in shock thinking about having a TEENAGER. Who DRIVES. Such a brave new world.
Post a Comment