Monday, March 9, 2009

Full Moon on Wednesday and There are Worms Working Hard

Last week I looked up what this month’s full moon name is and I read that it is called the Worm Moon. Ohhhhhh-K. What could I write about that? Then last week zipped by, we couldn’t believe there was snow and then this weekend the temp is in the 70’s. So I found myself working outside in my garden that I have had for two seasons. There were weeds everywhere and old tomato vines were still wrapped around a homemade wood trellis. After the weeds got pulled and everything raked away I used a shovel to dig up the dirt.




I got pretty excited to see many squirming worms under my garden that has not been touched in six months. I have always heard that worms are good for the garden but I have just done a little additional research. I now know that they are deaf, blind, and both male and female. And they reproduce. Not with themselves but with another worm. Greek philosopher Aristotle said that worms are the “intestines of the earth.”

And now I get it about March being the Worm Month. The sunlight is getting stronger and the ground begins to thaw. The worms are preparing the earth for new growth. Step aside, Groundhog--the earthworm says Spring is almost here!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Cool, I didn't know that every full moon had a name. Worm moon definitely makes sense for March.

Even WE did some yard work--not much but it felt good.

Laura said...

I have flowers in planters sitting next to the bed they were supposed to be put into this weekend.

Sure to find a worm in there...my boys will love it!

Leciawp said...

Yay for earthworms and yay for spring!!

Debbie said...

I love my earth worms! Nothing makes me happier than finding them in my garden.

Dr Zibbs said...

I'm ready too. Can't wait to get the garden started.

my adventures after said...

Okay, I'm really excited for your post, you're such a good writer and I love the topics you choose. I also am glad to see so many people commenting, and my are they excited about the topic. But seriously...worms make me want to puke. Was it you, Michele, that used to say so haughtily in high school, that you hadn't puked since fifth grade, you were damn proud of it, and you weren't about to start now? Well let me tell you, I will NEVER forget that comment, and the added mystique and power it gave you in my mind. So, let ME just say, that, except for that year I had endometriosis really badly and I would wake up at 3 a.m. with terrible stomach pains followed by about two hours of kneeling on the bathroom floor praying to the white porcelain god as we say, puking my guts out, I am NOT a puker. However, at this time of year, especially when it rains, at my workplace where there is a lot of vegetation, the worms come out in droves. They stupidly try to cross busy footpaths and inevitably get SQUISHED all over the walkway. Here I come, and all I can smell is the wet concrete, which I associate with SQUISHED WORM GUTS, and then my stomach starts to lurch. And all I keep saying to myself as I breathe through my nose is, "I haven't puked since fifth grade, and I'm not about to start now!" Happy gardening, freak!

Laura said...

yes, it is the Bachelor...get me your e mail for some scoop