Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Back at Home from Estes Park, CO and Black Hills, SD and Beyond

We’ve been back home for a couple of weekdays and I am having trouble adjusting. It has been boys, boys, boys for 24/7. This vacation started out with boys only for 6 days until I was able to join the road trip by flying from GA to CO. After a few days we drove through WY to SD for a few days’ stay. Then three days on the road to Iowa, to St. Louis and back to GA.

(here we have 3 boys taking a bio break at the end of a long hike and hubs is doing same but I left him out of this shot.. Me, I had to wait another hour or so)

For 9.5 days I have had boys at my side in the SUV,

in the hotel bathrooms, at museums and “monuments”, on hikes, watching TV in bed at night, on hikes in the snow, eating picnics in the cold, eating dinner out, seeing buffalo, elk, prairie dogs and marmots, sharing my camera, seeing rude people, seeing nice people, reading magazines and brochures or sleeping in SUV or looking at license plates because the portable dvd player broke on day one,

making (affectionate) fun of “Dad” not even knowing name of town we'd just slept in, listening to alternative music station on XM radio, listening to my new obsession with the Lewis and Clark Expedition, eating candy bars, helping to look for Dad’s lost wedding band (found it),

with everyone listening to my obsession with the Mount Rushmore sculptor (who honed his granite mountain carving skills at Stone Mountain, GA first, before he got mad and left the job), riding together to the top of the tallest human-made monument in the US, and

during the long drives in between states with Oldest Son asking loudly, “what’s that smell?” over the noise of his Ipod….. Middle Son quoting lines from National Lampoon’s Vacation….Youngest Son either talking non-stop or sleeping.

(Here they are on a four hour hike in the Rocky Mountain National Park the day I flew out to join them. They never saw Lawn Lake as it was getting rainy and Hubs didn't want to see headlines of Dad Loses Boys).

On the boys’ 6th day of vacay I joined them in Estes Park and no one knew where my camera was. So we used tons of film on Hubs’ digital, and the old fashioned 35 mm camera and two “throwaway”cameras (haven't yet seen all those photos). Then we found my camera and used it on this hike the next day to Cub Lake. Not bad for a 4-year old digital. I thought I wanted a new camera for my b-day which is in a few days, but no need. For now.

(This 2.3 mile hike to Cub Lake had it all--sun, major wind, sleet at times, elk, marmots, friendly ducks, and hundreds of lily pads).

I have to get all these photos in order – and am back at work so no time with the boys during the day. I miss being with them 24/7.

(Clark Griswold from the movie, Vacation): Hey, hey, easy kids. Everybody in the car. Boat leaves in two minutes... or perhaps you don't want to see the second largest ball of twine on the face of the earth, which is only four short hours away?

19 comments:

Debbie said...

It sounds like you had a blast! Great photos too.

Lawyer Mom said...

What a trip that was! You are one energetic mom.

I especially liked the picture of the boys on the four-hour hike.

Lynn @ human, being said...

hard to take a bad picture in this beautiful place. Happy Birthday tomorrow~!

Christy said...

You saw elk? Were they just enormous? And your dvd player broke on day 1? Holy crap. I tried to enlarge your photos, but couldn't. That one of the lake and the mountains is just gorgeous. So sorry to hear you're having a tough time adjusting back to work and not being with the kiddos 24/7...I know it's tough to adjust after a vacation. I always say I need a vacation AFTER the vacation.

Oh, and Happy Birthday - I see from Lynn it's tomorrow! Hope you have a fabulous day! I hope you've entered my giveaway and YOU win it!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of time with all boys. Sometimes you gotta get a little pink and pedicure in there somewhere

Becky said...

You sure don't make vacationing with all boys sound glamorous, but I'm still really looking forward to doing stuff like this with my boys when they are older. I just hope I'm still young enough to hike right along with them!
Must be hard to get back to the every day grind, huh?

Sarahviz said...

Thanks for giving me a glimpse into my future road trips!

Kelly said...

Loved the pictures. Estes Park, CO is my favorite place in the world. My family goes there every 2-3 years. We're headed back next summer.

steenky bee said...

This is so random! I was supposed to be in Estes Park in a few weeks, but it fell through. These images are beautiful. I love the pics of the boys. :)

Jess said...

sounds like a great trip!!! i will forever remember the cross country trip i took with my dad...great memories! by the time we made it Mt. Rushmore..i am sad to say that i rolled down the window and took a picture and we drove on...we were on our way to the INDY 500. Happy Birthday!!!

Casey said...

That's a lot of man time but it sounds like fun. I love the shot of the three boys lined up by age/height. It made me look forward to the days when my kids are old enough to take trips like that...

Fantastic Forrest said...

Your readers demand more pictures! But what you did post was lovely. :)

And....um....what WAS that smell?

Becky said...

That pic is gorgeous! And did you ever get to see the presidents on Mt. Rushmore?

And boy, that's a lot of boy time! You need some serious me time now.

Fragrant Liar said...

Sounds to me like a GREAT vacation. My good friend over at Midlife Jobhunter has three sons too, a bit older than yours, but she has always been outnumbered. I think you two might have something in common!

Femin Susan said...

Great photos...... Thanks for sharing!
I really enjoyed reading this post. Keep writing..

Amy said...

I can't wait to hear more about Estes!! Didn't you just LOVE it??

Sara said...

High Five for the Clark Griswold quote.

Anonymous said...

was that kid in TArget today? I swear he was in aisle 5

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big7.jpg[/img][/url]

מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - שירות חדרים אנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים כמו כן ישנו במקום שירות חדרים הכולל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מיוחדים אשר מוגשות ישירות לחדרכם.

לפרטים אנא גשו לאתר האינטרנט שלנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]