Friday, November 19, 2010

Some Crazy Photos and the Full Moon is on Sunday

Like everyone else, it’s been crazy busy between Halloween and Thanksgiving and fortunately I've had some time on the weekends to take some photos.

I have to say I am so glad that the weather is cooler. First, this is because my internal temp is higher these days so it suits me. Secondly, we haven’t had to have our air conditioning on at home for about a month, which means our electric bill no longer looks like this:


(way over $500 per month)

No, we do not live in the Taj Mahal, but we have old AC units which keep chugging away. So much for looking for a break after Hubs personally replaced every single window last year with double-paned ones and put in new insulation.


Our 4th grade son asks me to sign his agenda every night as required (another ban from recess if not signed). I asked him to show me his homework…and I had no clue what this was all about:

And here I thought I could at least still understand one out of three son’s math homework. I’m happy to say though that this week is long division, which I do understand.


Middle son is in a slightly advanced math class in 7th grade. His teacher asked for a meeting because in the first quarter he earned a 72, and if it’s under a 74 you have to come in for a meeting. Crazy thing is, the next week his avg was a 94. I guess he improved quickly. But here is something consistent with Middle Son:

Two weeks after Halloween the wastebasket next to his bed was filled to the brim with candy wrappers just like last year. He has never had a tooth cavity and so I just asked him to pick up the missed wrappers off the carpet and bring it down for a photo for my blog.

And, not to leave out Oldest Son regarding his math, last night at 9:30 p.m. he asked if I could take him to school for a math help session at 6:30 a.m. I said no way. A few minutes later I felt bad and said that one of us would take him (it is a 17 minute drive). So I rolled out of bed at 6:00 and we pulled out of the garage at 6:12 a.m.

But onto some celestial facts….if you do happen to be out in the dark before sunrise you can see the brilliant planet Venus. Not to be confused with Jupiter, which is in the early night sky. Did you know that Jupiter is so huge that all of the planets could fit inside of it with room to spare? Did you know that after quizzing three children for years on the solar system that I know a bunch of facts and still learn more every year ?

Other bright lights--last year this neighbor set up his outdoor Christmas lights on November 2nd, but this year they went up November 14th:

Have I mentioned that we have a break from sports for the month of November? I can spend the extra time marveling at the leaves which are at their most colorful here the second weekend in November. I am in love with these yellow, gold leaves all over this (chestnut?) tree in front of our house.


Have you seen the moon waxing this week? The Full Beaver Moon is our November’s full moon which is fullest this Sunday. The largest rodent in North America--the beaver--was trapped by the Native Americans, and in the 1500s European fishermen brought beaver robes back to Spain. The Europeans traded beads, weapons and blankets with the Native Americans for the furs, but then Europeans hired French-Canadian young men to trade and trap (like the Hubs of the kidnapped Sacagewea). So, not only are beavers significant to Native Americans' history but they were a huge factor of the motivation to explore Canada and large parts of northern U.S.

I wish you a wonderfully busy, but not too crazy weekend, under this Sunday’s full moon, named after this trailblazer.

4 comments:

Carol S. said...

I've got a sixth grade son with homework issues, so your posts are refreshing! Love astronomy, so will watch for the moon this weekend. Fall's a favorite as well!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Great post, love the pics, wow that is a whole bunch of candy wrappers. We had so many trick or treaters this year, our youngest Gave his candy away! (I got him a few bars of chocolate the next day.)
Your neighbor is waaay early on the Xmas decor.
Happy Thanksgiving, Michele R from my home to yours!

Ms. Moon said...

I love these full moon tutorials. Thank-you.

Kim said...

I'm still reeling from your electric bill. Yikes!