Friday, July 13, 2012

My Teenager is Alone Driving Right This Second- How will I Ever Relax??!!

My 16 year old son got his driver's license yesterday.  I called the auto insurance agent and he is sending me an email with all my cost options.


Our 14 year old just called from the nearby skate park to say it is raining and asked for a ride home.  I told him I couldn't and Hubs is up to his elbows in a plumbing house project.


But now we have a third driver!  And the law says he cannot have anyone not a family member in the car with him for 6 months but he is now off on his inaugural drive alone.  He practically ran out the door when I asked if he wanted to go pick up his brother.  In my car.


Our 14 year old will be his passenger going to high school together in less than four weeks.  In a small Toyota older truck.  A stick shift.


Anyway, writing this post right this second is a very nice distraction.  Breathe, breathe, hot flash, breathe.


I'm off to cook their favorite--jambalaya.


In the meantime, if you have been through this new driver mom experience, please tell me how you survived or please tell me something to distract me.  Hubs is no help in this dept.


I have to go look down the driveway now.

9 comments:

gretchen said...

Oh honey! This sent me into a hot flash just reading it! On the day I got my drivers license, I drive my moms car to pick up a friend, and within an hour had backed it into a tree. Okay maybe I shouldn't have told you that!

tiff said...

i get the hot flash! not the driving part yet...but alas we will have TWO kiddo's at the same time...that scares the hell out of me! fortunately i can breathe for another 3 years...YIKES!

good luck...hopefully you don't get an ulcer...smiles!!!!

Ms. Moon said...

I survived it FOUR times. So will you.

Michele R said...

Gretchen--no, not a good image. My car is almost paid off and it looks brand new. Ugh!
Tiff-the hot flashes have increased. two at once--major stress but I bet they will do great.
Ms. Moon--true. The oldest is such the guinea pig.

I have just asked my son if he wants to go to the nearby grocery store in my car and off he went. Maybe I will end up blogging as a distraction every time he leaves the house......

mCat said...

Oh how I remember the anxiety! I think I actually worried more about the hike in the insurance rates than anything else. Yeah, I'm THAT kind of a mom.

Take a deep breath, drink some diet coke. Repeat again and again and again if necessary : )

Mel said...

It was almost 2 years ago I went through the same thing. He's come home every time. I freak out when I hear sirens on the main road, there's an accident there once or twice a month, but it's never him. He is a good driver, a cautious driver, and I am a lucky mom. I don't have any hints except asking him to text you when he arrives and when he departs, and call if he's delayed, never, ever while driving, of course. He is awesome for driving a stick shift, very cool skill set.
Good luck surviving these new worries. I will admit, having another driver was a gift. I told him taxi service was part of the price of a car to drive, and so far he's been a champ.
Also, fyi, if he drives too fast hopefully littler one will tell when asked, I used the rides to school for intel gathering!
Best of luck!

Zion said...

My favorite commercial is where you see a dad instructing his cute little 5 year old daughter on how to drive. It shows the dad being very cautious and the daughter is in the driver seat ready to take off and your thinking "What is going on!?" Then the camera shows the daughter responding "I got it dad" and she is really a 16 year old young lady. Oh, it makes me want to cry just watching it and I am not the only one!

Anonymous said...

just think how convenient it will be to have someone to do all your errands! I would welcome another driver in the family. Hopefully he isn't a leadfoot?

Patois42 said...

Here's hoping some great wisdom can be found in the comments because I'm quite close to your predicament. Eeek!