Saturday, April 11, 2009

Going, Going, Gone. I think I boiled too many eggs.

My oldest son will be turning 13 soon and didn't want to color eggs today. I asked him if he still wanted an Easter basket. That would be yes, but he went out the door to play with friends. The middle one colored one egg and then found a show on TV called Teen Cribs that shows families in ginormous houses with amenities galore. (Update: he returned later to color about 5 more eggs).

My youngest son is still a fan of the whole coloring process. He waited with me for the water to boil and he added the vinegar and the food color. I did about 12 eggs and he has done about 14. So after being creative with these, we've left a few more resting in colored water to get the color as dark as possible. Growing up my husband received an Easter basket every year until college age (and he is the youngest of 6). I don't think I received very many Easter baskets at all. Although I do recall the first year after college I received one from my mom with placemats in it and things for my apt.

My brother and I would search for hidden hardboiled colored eggs and this is a tradition I've brought to our family. Each Easter morning my husband takes the colored hardboiled eggs (I'm the one who knows how many are out there) and hides them in the front and backyard. It then becomes a serious competition to find them. Another tradition that my husband shares is having to find yout hidden Easter basket on Easter morning. The Easter basket hiding spots are getting more challenging for them each year. One year a coveted basket was located in the dryer.
This year the boys' Grandma has sent a video game for them to share as a gift. We are going to up the ante on the search skills. Tonight we'll make up clues to lead them from one spot to another till they find the booty.

I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday traditions!

4 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

Clues are great. My mom used to write rhyming clues for us, too, like "On this Easter fest may you get some rest on the sofa in the living room where the pillows are best."

Happy Easter.

Becky said...

That's a lot of eggs! Looks like a great time coloring them.

Debbie said...

I hadn't even heard about the tradition of hiding the basket until a few years ago. I find that fascinating! And you are never too old for a basket:)

Laura said...

happy be lated easter!