Thursday, April 30, 2009

Road Trip Stories and the Next Generation

If you were to join my husband and me for dinner sometime you would see that he has a lot of stories to tell, and many about his life growing up. He has so many that he enjoys to tell that I sometimes kick him under the table to let him know to wind it up.

But I have to say I never get tired of hearing about his childhood family vacations in the station wagon with 6 kids, 2 adults, with all the luggage squished in except for that one coveted spot in the back where one kid would get to stretch out and lay till the next stop. I have had a couple of station wagon cross-country trips myself. My brother and I would hold up the peace sign while in the back facing the vehicle behind us. Or play Bingo with these cards on which you’d cover up your square if you’d see a silo, or a train. And I learned that if you were a boy you could pee in a cup if you had to go really bad.





My husband’s parents took their 6 kids up and down the East Coast many a time beginning when my husband (the youngest) was out of diapers. My husband may not remember last week’s conversations but he does remember details from these trips such as:

· For lunch they’d pull over to a rest stop and unload a cooler and two boxes for a complete lunch. Then later that night at the motel she’d cook dinner for 8 people using one pot and some type of burner and the entire motel would smell of their food.

· For breakfast who else remembers the Kellogg’s cereal in little boxes you’d open at the perforations, pull back the cardboard and wax paper and pour in your milk.

· When he was about 4 years old the family left him behind at a rest stop at the picnic table. They were five minutes down the highway before noticing. One brother knew but didn’t say anything. My hubs was still there, waiting, when they returned.

· Their highlight in New York City was throwing the tiny bars of soap from the hotel bathroom window and onto passersby below.

· Their highlight of smaller towns was ending the day at a motel pool. Their dad would pull into a motel at end of day to inquire if they had two adjoining rooms. He’d walk out of the office with a thumbs-up and they knew they’d be swimming.

· This memory is from his mom but he says it now explains why they looked like a bunch of ragamuffins in the trip photos. His mom would pack each of the kids’ oldest, worn out clothes for the trip. Each day she’d leave yesterday’s clothes behind in the motel. No dirty clothes to deal with.

· As the youngest my husband often had to ride in between his mom and dad in the front seat. He remembers his dad would sometimes sip from “a cold one” in a small, brown paper bag. There are no abuse problems here. For him it was like sipping on one Coke. We both find this amazing.

We have recently decided to create some Road Trip Memories for our boys, and for us. The most we’ve driven one way with our boys is 10 hours to our destination. They do really well and I swear we were the last family around to even buy just one portable dvd player. I heard my youngest son telling his brothers that they will REALLY be able to play the alphabet game on this trip. After the last couple years of wanting to, we are going to the Black Hills of South Dakota. And the Badlands. And Colorado. Which is a 21 hour drive. Which will be broken up by stays at a motel with pools.
I mentioned the other day that it may be near the same price if we flew and rented a car but my husband replied that it would not be a real road trip that way. And fortunately I agree.

I love hearing family road trip stories. What are yours?

12 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

I'm a total road-tripper. Much more fun than flying. And, at least today, I suppose, safer.

And yes I remember those bowl-in-a-box cereals, too.

My mom was big into hotels. Even if it meant we couldn't eat. Once, we stayed at the Waldorf and ate cheese and crackers in our room for dinner; we kept the crock of cheese out on the window ledge to keep it cold.

Becky said...

We had a station wagon just like that, but only 4 kids and 2 adults in it. We road-tripped every summer and never stopped anywhere for food - boxes of dry cereal was all we got until dinner. My dad would NEVER run the A/C because he had to get the best gas mileage. On the way from MI to FL, my mom left my 3 year old brother at a gas station and they were back on the highway before she noticed he wasn't in the car. We had a "turtle" on top with all our luggage in it and we were allowed to take a pillow and (2) toys with us in the backseat.
The story about wearing the old clothes and leaving them is GREAT, but the best road trip story I ever heard was from a friend who also had 6 kids in the family. Their dad would put a can of Spam under the hood of the car to warm it up and an hour later stop for a "hot lunch" of Spam sandwiches. Classic!

Sarah said...

So funny! I constantly tell me kids not to feel sorry for themselves in the car with all their gadgets. My husband has more stories than I do, with 3 brothers and 1 sister...those road trips are harder on the boys!

Becky said...

Ooh, I love this post and the comments. The idea about leaving their old clothes in the motel, that is genius.

And oh, yes, I remember that the excitement of getting to swim in the motel pools was equal to or greater than our desire to get to whatever our destination was.

My family was big into road trips. We never, never flew anywhere as a family until I was grown up and married. Our last road trip--I was in college--was a trip from FL to the Grand Canyon in a Ford Explorer, with my parents up front, my brother, my sister, me, and our cousin in the back. I have no idea how we tolerated this. One of us "kids" had to sit/crouch/lounge in the cargo area at all times. But I don't remember being uncomfortable. What I remember is having a belching contest that lasted half of Texas. And my sister and I posing on a street corner in Winslow, AZ (just like the Eagles song!) and getting hooted at by some drunks coming out of a bar. At nine in the morning. Good times!

Laura said...

station wagon
no seat belts
4 kids
2 adults
one cat
lots of fighting
arbys

Debbie said...

Wow. I never thought of abandoning the clothes on a trip. Brilliant!

Maggie said...

What awesome memories!! Road trips are fun, but with little ones, it's hard sometimes. Our 2 year old has recently developed a strong case of motion sickness, and that has made for some interesting drives (even only 30 min away). I can't wait until he's old enough to be able to take something to prevent his stomach from getting upset. He gets his weak stomach from his father, lol

Femin Susan said...

Those are absolutely fascinating. Wonderful post! Blessings to you and your family……

Michele R said...

All, thanks for your stories of family trips. Most enjoyable to read. I spoke to my mother-in-law the other day. Told her I was thinking about her "old clothes toss-em-out" stories. She was all into it. Elaborated about how it was a no brainer to throw out the clothes when someone threw up too.

Amy said...

Your MILs clothing solution cracks me UP! I would never have ever thought of that.

We did roads trips constantly growing up too. My kids have mostly flown, except to go to the beach house which is 8 hrs each way.

We are thinking of a (non-beach) road trip this summer though - hopefully in July. We'll see how they do!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Rache said...

I remeber our family road trips in our suburban before wearing seatbelts was the law. It was very different experience then the road trips we have now with my own lil family.

Before seatbelts we would lie around the backseat and play card games. Now the kids are strapped in carseats watching dvd's. Way different. We had some fun.

Garry Brei said...

I see myself in your husband. Even though I am the one who drives the car for the whole trip, there are times when I forget the details of the trip, but not the experience. There was this one time when my auto was freshly off the repair shop in Hollywood, just a few days after a minor accident, I already went back to the driver's seat for another road trip with my family that I might soon forget... or not.