Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Taking the Boys to the Movies

Taking my kids to see new movies is one of my favorite things to do. I was at the movie theater with them in the summer of 2004 when I had an epiphany. In all honesty it may have been 2005. I didn't keep a journal but I have pounded my brain for the details.

So it was when the movie was getting started for either Shrek 2, The Incredibles or Harry Potter in The Prisoner of Azkaban when I realized that it was perfect having these three boys at their ages and that I could see the benefits of them growing up, and no longer moan as much about not having any more babies. I think a family goes through a lot of changes when the last child is three years old.

I know I had been taking the boys to movies before this point in time when they were almost 4, 6.5 and 8 years old. For example, I know that we took my first son to the movies when he was 6 weeks old. That summer was a real eye opener. We had visions of the three of us being together all summer long with a happy, cooing baby. Turns out this son is the complainer of the family and it started at about 5 days old. Anyway, the movie was Phenomenon with John Travolta and although my son slept through it when he wasn't nursing, I realized the volume was just too loud to be spending any more time in theaters with any babies.

So back to that summer when I knew I was at peace with no more babies. I remember my youngest son was on my left and sat in his seat the whole time. There had been some movies where he preferred to walk up and down the stairs near me. But he always tried to keep up with the brothers and so by this time he sat and watched like the other two.

From that point on we have hardly ever missed going to the movies to see something new that comes out that we all decide is movie theater-worthy. Even in times when I could not pay the nice movie theater prices, we'd go to the Dollar Movie Theater where the movies shown have been out for 8 weeks or so.

My oldest son is 13 and he has been going to see movies with other friends, and actually my 11 year old has done the same. For example, the oldest has seen the latest Harry Potter movie but the rest of us haven't. So I will be taking the other two soon to see it. And he also didn't want to see the latest Ice Age movie so I took the other two. And I took the oldest alone to see Transformers 2 and really hope the other two don't see it. Ooops too late the 11 year old did see it with a friend. These days I give them the heads up on how girls really look before they have their lips all pumped up and glossed even though they are running through the desert. I swear, I did fill them in on these things... More on that for another post. And I am sure that before I know it there will be movies that my oldest will see and be glad that I am not there. But I really have enjoyed this pocket of time in the past 5 years, where we have been together in movie theaters.

5 comments:

Christy said...

What a great post Michele. I can't wait to bring my daughter to the movies. And then to have more kid(s) and bring them too. My husband and I have been to two movies in the last two years...and we had to leave one of them because I was so pregnant, and so miserable, I couldn't concentrate on the film. ugh.

I'm looking forward to the other post you alluded to too - sounds interesting!

Laura said...

Now that Luke is three, I see the changes..and the POSSIBILITIES...and they are not far away! I MISS the baby...in fact, I mourn it nearly every day...but, OH THE POSSIBILITIES to do FUN things WITH ALL OF THE KIDS!

Next year TOY STORY 3 is coming to the the movie theatre.
Luke, a hug fan, will be four.

we are so excited!

Sara said...

I think we turned that baby corner not so long ago, too. No longer have those conversations about whether we'd like another. Now it's only said in jest.

We are very content to wait for grandchildren at this point, but you're right, these are good times right now. I especially appreciate it during walks. Not having to carry anybody!

Becky said...

I'm so glad you posted this! My husband is not really happy with having a baby (19 months) plus another on the way just when the older boys (6 and 4 1/2) are getting to where they can do stuff. I just tell him there will be plenty of years ahead where we can have the fun of FOUR boys to hike, fish, camp, and go to movies. It's hard for him to be patient, but my mom told me "You might regret the kids you didn't have, but you'll never regret the ones you did have." I can tell you we are definitely done, though. Four boys is ENOUGH!

Michele R said...

Christy--We rarely go to the movies alone. Only if it is really, really spectacular--I suggested Slumdog Millionaire this past April and we really enjoyed it.
Laura--I had no idea about Toy Story 3! I wonder if I will keep seeing these animated movies even after the kids grow up? Actually one of my sis-in-laws has a 21 yr old son and he and his dad LOVE Surfs Up (she told me, and my boys love watching it with the hubs as well)
Sara--I have just started picturing grandkids. Sigh. Also--packing is much easier--I tell them "Pack 4 shorts, 5 shirts, 5 underwear, etc, and they do it.
Surr. By Boys--Maybe your hubs will take out the other boys to do stuff while you snuggle in with the new baby boy. We divide and conquer over here now that sports and other interests are different. Four boys sounds thrilling! You're giving the youngest a buddy!