Anyway, a couple of Sundays ago we had my family of five, another Dad, and FIVE other boys with us. All jammed into one Suburban because we like to pay the extra $$ and park real close so that we can easily get back to the vehicle and the cooler for a picnic.
I do not do any scary rides and neither does my 8 year old so we are a team and go off on our own. Then we meet up for lunch. And then we walked around together for a little bit before I took off on my own again with Youngest. At that time it occurred to me that I was walking around Six Flags with 10 males. And it even became apparent to me that enough is enough and I really need to devote some time to me. And then on the way home I sat really close to the window because boys smell after they play.
I announced to the Hubs that I was taking some time for me the next weekend. I wanted to see Julie and Julia, which I had just finished reading. The author writes sentences that are really really long like usually 40 words long and I really like that. He said I should. "Or, get a manicure", I said. He said I should.
But it didn't happen because the next weekend I had all sorts of errands to do as usual which involved buying and making food. And cleaning stuff at home. And cleaning more stuff at home with Hubs because he is a clean fanatic and wanted to clean out closets and if I am not there he will throw stuff out. In the trash bag near one closet I found miscellaneous papers and office supplies including a legal pad with scribbles on the pages, but about ten pages in I saw he had written me an unfinished love letter a few years ago and it was four pages long and those things are pretty valuable since my Love Language is words.
I also ended up making necklaces for the boys as seen in the three pictures below. Well, I still plan on having some time for myself, which I'm thinking now instead of 2 hours for a movie might need to be a Full Day, but I don't think it will happen this weekend. Maybe over Labor Day weekend. Because after that baseball season starts.
(plain brown and white for Oldest with no dangling doodads)(black cord necklace is for Youngest and has a fosselized shark tooth on it found this summer by Hubs on Tybee Island near Savannah)
(the white shark tooth necklace is actually the Middle Son's 1st necklace bought on an island vacation when he was three but it had been broken for years and I restrung it and added some brown and red and silver beads)

7 comments:
My husband also says I should take me time but doesn't actually step up so I can do it... he can babysit, but not run the house.
Cool necklaces - and definitely - mark your calendar in ink and take some time for just you! I need to take my own advice too...
Hi,Michele. I'm here from Midlife Jobhunter, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. I have two grandsons, ages 3(almost 4) and 6(almost 7). They live four minutes away and are a big part of our life, so I'll be looking for stories and tips from you about boys! Love the necklaces ... and I'm sure you definitely need an deserve girl time! And, yes, boys do smell after they play!
I hear you about needing some "girl time" and my boys aren't even that smelly...yet! I dream of having an annual spa weekend with some friends someday. Wouldn't that be AWESOME?
Here's to the dream of GREAT daughter-in-laws someday, huh?
"boys smell after they play" Truer words were never spoken. ('round here, the girls aren't so fresh either.)
unfinished 4 page love letter?! oh, ya!!! like gold, baby!
OMG, my love language is words too. And a 4 page love letter! Great find! I think my secondary language is either quality time or acts of service, I can't remember 'cause I'm so lopsided for words.
And honey. Six Flags with 10 boys? I think you need to go to a hotel by yourself for at least one night.
Awesome post.
Those are great boy necklaces. Wish I were as crafty.
I hope you get to see Julia and Julie. I haven't seen it yet but I hear it's wonderful and one of the few movies that show a romantic, yet realistic marriage.
Post a Comment