Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It’s Not Like I Went All Stephen King’s “Carrie” On Her


Last week I was thinking about something that happened in second grade. I keep having all these childhood memories pop up. Perhaps it’s a combination of my age, having a blog, and having school age kids that has caused certain memories to surface.


In the spring of second grade I was on the school bus in the morning and I was in the back with several classmates. I was wearing a culottes romper type of outfit with a long zipper in the front. The zipper was white and had a ring shape the size of a nickel you’d pull to zip it up. I wasn’t wearing anything underneath.


There was a girl in my class who was really popular and the elderly teacher’s pet. I was standing on the bus, as were several others, and she pulled my zipper down to my mid-section. I may have had a seven year old body, but all 51 pounds of me were pissed off. I was so embarrassed. Boys were there and everyone laughed.

In the classroom we had been growing our own Styrofoam cup of wheat grass seed for a few weeks. This mean-girl-in-the-making happened to have her grass that had grown the fullest and tallest. A ledge in the classroom had all of our cups lined up like this:

I can’t remember if it was the same day she pulled my zipper down or not, but it was very close to that day that I retaliated. It must have been a recess or bathroom break that I was able to get into the classroom alone. I took the teacher’s scissors, went over to this girl’s grass, and Whoosh—I gave that grass a blunt cut and lopped off about 3 inches. And then went on my way back to wherever I was supposed to be.


Well, this old teacher was horrified along with meany girl when the class saw what had been done. Of course no one confessed. And no one ever asked me and no one ever knew. The teacher assumed it was someone who was jealous of her growing grass.


So a couple nights ago at dinner I shared this story with my Hubs and the boys. The boys were kind of shocked but they laughed. And I saw my Hubs staring at me and kind of joking about “Wow, this is a side of you I never knew”. And I’m all like, “Bwaaaahaaahaaa. What!?! She deserved it!” (plus it's not like I ripped the grass out. It will still grow. Gosh). And he actually asked if she was just playing around during the zipper situation and I vehemently described how I had Nothing on underneath even though just my sternum showed I was pissed. And I reminded him of the fact that although I was seven years old and in second grade, I had once again started a new school in a new state (Texas) a couple months prior, which made it my FOURTH school in my life (Calif, then FL, then Calif, then Texas and BTW back to Calif for 5th school) and not to mention once having a horrible experience in the spring of first grade.


And then my Hubs said, “Well as a teacher I have a problem with that behavior even though you had a hard time, that was very mean to her.” Can you believe this? So then I am all, “Well as my husband you have to understand where I was coming from, and guess what—there is not one ounce of regret. None!” And then we were all laughing at the kids each trying to be a comedian such as, "You should have said 'uh, uh oh no you dih-INT with the fingers snapping in a Z formation" and I said it wasn’t like I hurt her like in the movie Carrie for goodness sakes. Of course telling a bus driver or a teacher immediately would have been best. But I was the new outcast and I'm telling you these teachers were sooo biased.


Later that evening he found me in my closet rifling through a box of photos and I found the class picture. For all the schools I went to, it is amazing that I have these photos. I actually had a hard time identifying the mean girl, but then it came back to me. BTW, it was Hunters Creek Elementary in Houston, TX (Spring Branch School District).


I will be providing an update because I know he will mention this to all the women he works with. And I know the women will be behind me. Like that time years ago he got all crabby because I had several bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the shower (this was before kids) and he asked his coworkers how many items they had in the shower. He came home admitting that my pile of shower goodies was much smaller than others'.


I can’t think of any other time I needed revenge like that. Who’s with me? Or who was I too mean to the mean girl?

12 comments:

Christy said...

I would have pulled the grass out from the roots!!! Such a funny story, in retrospect. That girl deserved whatever you dealt her. Meanies stink!

Ms. Moon said...

Nope. You are right. You did the correct thing and should have NO REGRETS! I am proud of that little girl whose sternum stuck out.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

You were restrained in my estimation. At my NJ school, I would have thrown it in the dumpster.

Wander to the Wayside said...

I'm torn on this one! If she was just fooling around (as kids will do), and didn't think about cause and affect (as kids will not), and if she was just being funny and not mean (as kids will do)...then I think it was a little harsh.

If, on the other hand, she did it menacingly (as kids will do), with full intent at embarrassing and hurting you (as kids will do)...then you had every right to kick ass!

I'm thinking you need to see if she's on Facebook, and if she remembers you and the incident!

Becky said...

I love you even more after hearing this story! Good for you!!! It's not like you peed on her toothbrush or anything - now that's REALLY mean!

Jenni said...

Man, eff that girl. She deserved it. She was a bully.

gretchen said...

I'm so impressed that you had the balls to do it! I was much too much of a chicken.

Have you located this mean girl on Facebook? I swear that all the mean girls I grew up with now want to be my "friend". Argh.

Amy said...

Girl, I am TOTALLY on your side! And good on you for getting her back. What she did was truly cruel. I just cringed reading your story! It's funny how things like that stick with us, eh?

And you're right--you could've torn the grass out and dumped the dirt in her lunchbox! It wasn't like you went nuts.

I think everyone's with you on this one. :)

Jen said...

She was a bully in the making and while what you did was sneaky, I bet it felt GOOD :)

Patois42 said...

Uh, uh oh no she dih-INT?! Do that to you?! I don't know if I would have been able to have gotten away with it like you did, but I would have so done something back. Bitch.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I remember the teacher's pet girls. Hated them. Also, can appreciate the changing of schools. I didn't have to do it until 8th grade, but still, most difficult.

I'm thinking the girl got over it, fast.

Sara said...

What satisfying stories. :-)

I can't abide a meanie. Big or little!

I love that you could quickly assess that there was no candy and gave that creep no satisfaction. Victory!