About a month ago I realized that for more than half of my life I have been sleeping on a certain side of our bed since day one. I could be romantic and post about how I have loved the same person for more than half of my life but I’ll save that one for another day.
When you stand at the foot of the bed and look at the bed, I am on the right. And because of this role that I have had for around 25 years, and because of my favorite sleep position, this means that my left side of my face is all scrunched up in the morning and more wrinkly permanently than my right side of my face. And it’s starting to make me mad.
So then I tried to figure out how it got started that I sleep on my particular side of the bed and why Hubs sleeps on his side of the bed. And has it always been this way every year? So I pictured every bed in which we’ve slept together, including guest beds, hotel beds, and even in a tent in a double sized sleeping bag. Yep, each and every time, no matter what the bed, those are our sides.
I think it got started because our first bed was an old queen sized bed that Hubs brought to the union and our bedroom was small so the bed had to be situated against the wall on one side of the bedroom. Hubs didn’t want to be on the side against the wall, and I didn’t mind, and plus I liked him being closest to the door.
So why do I sleep on my left side, therefore squishing the left side of my face on my pillow? We all have our favorite falling asleep position, right? I just remembered that during my pregnancies it was all about what felt best for the belly and/or back. With one pregnancy I slept a lot on my right side because it was more comfortable. Other than that time of my life (that ended almost ten years ago) I start out on my back. I think about a few things. I then have complete control to not think about anything too tense or bothersome. I have a pretty color of green I picture. And then a few minutes later, when it is time to assume my sleep position, I turn on my left side and fall asleep. And then in the morning when it is time to wake up I am on my left side usually, with my left cheekbone area all mashed into my left eye area.
And my legs are drawn up somewhat and being on my left side gives me more room. You'd think that since we have a king-size bed now that there would be plenty of room for me to sleep on either of my sides, but apparently my Hubs' favorite position is smack in the middle of the bed (despite plenty of room in a king) so there I am giving my knees room when turned on my left side.
Lately I have asked my Hubs why he thinks we have our designated sides and he agrees on how it got started all those years ago. He says he is totally open to changing the sides of the bed. Maybe I will give it a try. (Of course we will have to change everything on our respective nightstands and move the alarm clock to my new side because for some reason only I know how to set the alarm correctly and make sure it is turned on).
So, is a designated side of the bed the way it works for everyone year after year? Are you on the right side (from viewing at the foot of the bed) and why is it your side? Who knew it would end up being a lifetime decision!
13 comments:
I sleep on the same side of the bed as you do and it's always been that way with us. However, I am not having any wrinkle issues on my face because I am still getting up 2-3 times per night with the baby, who has now discovered how much fun it is to pull up on his crib bars and cry because he can't get back down. So my advice to you is don't sleep straight through the night and then you won't have as many sleep lines. Aren't I sooo helpful? :)
I'm on the left, but sometimes we switch it up.
Hmmm. I thought it got started because mommy needs to be closest to the door to deal with the kids!
I'm an edge sleeper no matter what size bed or what side, always hugging the edge and knees slightly drawn up or in fetal position if it's winter and cold. (Well, on my back a lot now that I'm old and have back troubles.)Also, we've always had dogs that take up more than their fair share of bed out of the middle, and the woman almost always gives her area to kid/pet/husband. Isn't that usually the case, or am I a sucker?
I'm a lefty and have been since we've been together. Although a few times when sleeping elsewhere I have slept on the right, usually because it's closer to the bathroom.
Interesting. I wonder if this reveals something deeper about your psyche. ; )
I'm always on the left side (as you face it) so my end table is always on the right -- big reader, you see.
As for the scrunch problem, try a temperpedic (sp?) pillow. It pretty much solved my scrunch problem.
What a great post. I was just thinking about this recently. Hubs and I have been about 15 years now, in the same apartment/bedroom, but with different beds and locations of those beds in the room itself. When standing at the foot, I sleep on the left, farthest from the door, but it wasn't always that way. A few years ago, I think it has been that long, we switched sides. Although I remember being on the right, and what it was like to have more room for nightstand and books and such, I don't remember what it was like with him being on the left. Being on the right put me close to the bathroom in that master bedroom, which is MINE! The guest bath down the short hall is HIS. This is how we have stayed together all this time. I don't mind the left side now, tucked into the dark and crowded with furniture corner. I have also wondered about sleep positions, but have never noticed any facial contortions as a result. But now that you have mentioned them, I will have to check in the mirror and try to find some extra wrinkles on my left face. The cat prefers me on my back, because the wall my body makes when I'm on my side, which I prefer, is just too much heat for her and after a while, she up and leaves. When on my back, I can provide the cuddly comfort of my arm without the extensive heat wall that causes her to wake up suddenly, shoot my the fish eye, and then bolt off the bed. Without the cinnamon bun/doughnut of my cat curled up in my arm next to me, sleep is just a dream, and I find it very hard to sleep over the sound of Starbursts being individually unwrapped, one at a time, one after the other, followed by the sound of them being eaten and slurped. Sometimes hubs senses my irritation and tries to unwrap them all at once. I usually shoot him the fish eye at around #6.
I'm a right-side-of-bed girl here, for similar reasons to you - I got hooked on sleeping on my left side since being pregnant with #1. That's how I ended up on the right side of the bed.
Cannot sleep actually on my right side. Ever. This equals a nice slighly bald patch on my left temple. Shut it, I'm blaming the pillow.
I also have an aversion to warm breath, and since Hubs is a tosser/turner/stomach sleeper (wth is up with that?) I must ensure a good barrier with my back.
I'm with Lawyer Mom - I'm pretty sure that's telling of something.
And Wedding Hostesses - I'm so sorry about this, but I had a good giggle at your response - oh the frustration of being stuck, sweet baby. One day you will sleep again, I promise!!
P.S. still no package in my mailbox. Wha-wha-whaaaaaaaaa.
Wedding Hostess--I bet the bed feels great when you are in it no matter what the heck side you are on. I remember those days.
Wander--We didn't have any young'ns until 9 years of marriage--been then come to think of it, I was closest to the door when we had kids.
Lawyer and Ash--it prob does reveal something. I think the wall is a good description. When I am ready to sleep I don't want breath in my face either.
Adventures--As you know it has been years since we had a cat...who would leave when Hubs entered the bed because he kicks them off. Starbursts? Oh my!
I am sleep on the left because it's closer to the bathroom and the kids rooms. That is an interesting trick to think of the color green.
I too, sleep on the same side of the bed that you do. And thinking back, I have ALWAYS slept on this side. Why? I can't imagine. Interestingly, I'm about to redecorate and rearrange our bedroom, and I'm thinking of changing sides too. Let me know how it goes for you!
I am on the right side. We have alternated a bit, but I always seem to end up back on the right. When he is out of town, I grab the left. Because I KNOW it's the better side.
I've been on the left since we started sharing a bed. I don't think there was any good reason for it, but now he won't consider switching it up. I'm pretty happy with it in our new room.
I toss and turn most nights so my face should be pretty evenly smashed.
Post a Comment