Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mowing the Lawn Is the New 30-Day Shred!

Well, I mowed the lawn for the first time in my life. I am not sure if I ever want to do it again. One thing is for sure—it was a great workout and had my heart pumping harder than Level 2 of the 30-Day Shred.

If you know me a little, you know that Hubs is a Yard Man and the reason we had boys is to turn them into Yard Men. Well, I have a new respect for my boys, who start mowing the lawn in fifth grade. Oldest son has a couple of lawn customers in the ‘hood and I seriously think he needs to charge more than the $20 ($25 with edging) that he charges (although my two oldest charge $40 for one neighbor who has a big job).


I flew back early from vacay a couple days ago and left the boys in FL for a couple more days and we knew the lawn would need cutting. In fact, Hubs even brought it up a couple times such as, "I wonder how much it has rained--I bet the grass is getting long." Oldest son has a friend filling in for his customers so Hubs suggested that I call this buddy and pay him $20. I decided to do it myself. I could spend that $20 on a manicure (which I need now) or lunch and a movie!


At first I thought I would tackle the front yard one evening and leave the backyard for another evening because it has a hill, but I ended up doing both on Tuesday night. Here is a photo a neighbor took of me:


Just kidding! Found that on Google Images. I did wear glasses like that though.

Before I got started I asked Hubs over the phone where exactly do I start? So I began close to the house in the front yard and went in a perimeter around pinestraw beds until I had a small area left. I only took out one half of a plant. I thought it would be fairly easy to push the mower since it is called “self-propelled”. It actually took some stamina to maneuver! I didn’t want to have to pull that starter ring out any more than I had to so I gripped the handle for all it was worth and now a couple days later the bones in my hands are still sore.


I called my Hubs after the front lawn was done and gasped in the phone like that “Malcolm In The Middle’s” friend in the wheelchair who gasps and inhales loudly and slowly in between words, “I.…finished…the….front....I’m..…getting......water......inside…the....…house…now.”


I spotted some mountain bike riding gloves in the garage that have pads on the palm area and the fingers cut out so I wore those for the backyard. It took me four tries to start the mower this time and the backyard took about 30 minutes at least and I never let go. Can I tell you how many times I interrupt my husband when he mows? I wasn’t about to have to start it again or else I’d quit.


I was dying by the end and my face was burning red. When I was going downhill I prayed my legs wouldn't give out and send the mower flying and me on the ground. Luckily that didn't happen. But I am glad no one saw me at this point (unless they were laughing behind curtains). Some walkers saw me at the front yard, which felt weird. Usually my role is to just bring out the glass of ice water.

(here is the finished backyard--photo taken from a hill area)

About the 30-day Shred—in the winter my sons got a kick out of seeing me do this dvd (until I quit after day 11) and my youngest son has asked several times when I am going to do it again. I told him I would this summer because I won’t have to get up early and help with anyone’s school lunches, nor will I have to be at a ballfield 4 out of 7 nights). Later that night when I talked to my Hubs on the phone I heard our youngest son in the background call out, “Did she do the Shred yet??!!” And Hubs turned to him and said, “No, she mowed the lawn!!”

11 comments:

Becky said...

You are hilarious! I was thinking you were REALLY BRAVE posting a pic of yourself in a bikini! ha ha!

Your house is GINORMOUS and so is the lawn. I would have died, too! Are you planning on ever doing it again?

I quit the Shred pretty quickly,too. I'd rather get out and walk 2 miles with my favorite 20 lb weight strapped to me. :)

Kim said...

I'm thinking steel toed shoes may be in order to save the piggies when you fall down the hill bedhind the mower. I can say that, because IF and WHEN I ever cut the grass, I think I will need to take my own advice.

The Mother said...

I had boys so I didn't have to do the lawn, too. But what happens when they leave home????

Wander to the Wayside said...

You go girl! Good job!

Becky said...

You are hilarious! I died at the bikini pic. Died.

You are a strong woman! I had no idea it was so tough either.

honeypiehorse said...

That is too funny - I thought it was you. The back of your house is lovely!

tiff said...

this is fantastic! i felt like i was mowing the lawn with you...and that photo...hilarious!

your depiction of breathing was perfect...we just watched a whole bunch of Malcom in the Middle...so i got it!!!!

i love that you relate this to the 30-day Shred...AWESOME!

Patois42 said...

And I thought my weed whacking was horrific. Glad you survived!

Anonymous said...

I was literally thinking about letting go of my gardner and doing the lawn myself. Yeah...no

Ms. Moon said...

I used to mow the lawn when I was a kid. It sucked then and I imagine it would suck now. We have "a guy" who comes and cuts our two acres in about an hour. No kidding. And then we gladly pay him.
I am proud of you!

Sara said...

I was wondering why on earth the neighbor would take that pic and then give it to you. Relieved that you were kidding!!

You should see the beast of a mower we have. One benefit of being pregnant this Summer: no mowing or weedwacking. Cuz I was always the sweaty freak doing it. Hooray for a 13 son who does a hellofagood job!

Def a good workout!