When we were in FL last week, we went to a minor league baseball game on our oldest son's birthday. For 14 years we've been the parents of at least one boy and I believe this is the first time we went to a minor league game...and I highly recommend it. The ballfield we went to is named after Jackie Robinson. In 1946 Jackie Robinson was on a minor league team playing an exhibition game and Daytona was the only city in the area that allowed him to play on their minor league field. The next year he broke the color barrier and played on the Majors for the Brooklyn Dodgers. There is a museum with historical info all around the park. This ball park was built in 1914 and the press box you see in the background here behind my middle son is 50 years old.
One worker's job was to round up different kids or adults for various entertaining contests. I saw him scouting us out and pointed to my oldest son saying, "It's his birthday". My son was led away and a few minutes later he was on the field with another boy. The contest was to eat a Moe's burrito the fastest for a gift card. Ooops--he just had a big cheeseburger for dinner before we arrived. The other kid won.
It was a gorgeous, breezy night and the park is on a river, the scoreboard was manual and the parking is free. Here is am, one happy mom.
Toward the end there was one man in the stands who was hilarious, trying to get the opposing team at bat or the opposing pitcher all razzled with his loud commentary. Here are my three guys. I guess they are getting older. They had a great time, no one fussed at each other, and none of them asked for a single thing like popcorn or a drink. All the music and antics had them pretty occupied.
Every day we went to the beach. That is not new. Even though we live four hours from the nearest beach, these guys have been in the ocean or pool since they were babies. In fact, they never sit down. They are in the water the whole time. And the more waves the better.
Middle son always likes to get buried and so I complied. He even asked me to put Cheese Nips on his back to see if birds would feed off of him. They did not.
(This is not my photo--I got this from Google images of Peanut Island in West Palm Beach. There were no women dressed like this there. Everyone wore teeny tiny bikinis. I was out of place in my tankini).
Toward the end of the afternoon my SIL made a drink of
One beach I love is Juno Beach-- has nice showers. My youngest son got his back burned toward the beginning of the vacation and a few days later it peeled. Water from the shower formed under bubbles of skin on his back--that was a new experience.
Walking to a pier with a big cousin to buy a slushie was a first too.
I stayed behind to play the role of the surfer girlfriend.
You know what they say-- you are a couple before kids and you will be a couple after the kids leave the nest. I look forward to being a surfer's girlfriend for a long, long time.
15 comments:
Looked like a wonderful time. We are three hours away from a lake big enough to feel like it has a beach. The sand is brought in. We have been wanting to take our three girls to a baseball game and your post has made it a must for this summer. What a handsome family you have.
Dana
Oooh that sunburn looks painful! Put some vitamin E on it right away, even if his back looks fine now.
Okay, sorry, I'll get off my pretend-doctor box.
Your boys are so handsome! No wonder you're a happy mom.
Sunburns are the reason I don't do beaches. And when my kids go, they look like marshmallow men.
Glad you had a good time.
We ALWAYS take in minor league games - we have to - it's ridiculous to try to get tix to Fenway Park!
I LOVE that picture of the two of you guys!! How stinkin' cute is that?
My new nickname for you is Gidget :-)
Glad you guys had a fantastic time minus the sunburn. Stripper poles and all. Nice.
How fun! You are HOT in a bikini! :)
I love minor league baseball. Not only is it fun and family oriented, it doesn't break the bank!
Dana—Hi! Yes, take the girls, and thank you.
Lawyer Mom—poor guy was so miserable for a couple of days. Those boys are my life.
The Mother—Despite tons of sunblock and even wearing a rash guard, there is always one guy who gets burned someplace each season. But it actually helps them really believe in the sunblock from that point on. I read under a big umbrella.
Sarahviz—A minor league stadium was built with my tax money in our area a few years ago. They charge almost as much as the Atl Braves so we boycott it. There are so many neat ones in FL—we hope to visit more.
Ash and Under the influence—You guys realize that the photo is almost 25 years and 25 pounds ago…….
Looks like you had a wonderful family vacation, sunburn and sand in drinks and all! I love the photo of the son buried in sand!
Such handsome boys. Looks like you all had a fantastic time (excepting that sunburn, OUCH)
Did you go to Vero or anywhere near there? That is "my" Atlantic beach. We used to go to spring training games of the Dodgers there. I think it was the Dodgers. I could be wrong. But it was fun. I'm glad y'all had such a great time. What a beautiful family.
First, I think that's the first time I've seen a picture of your whole face! Even though you have sunglasses on :) Pretty Momma!
I loved reading about your trip - it sounds wonderful! I look forward to happy times when my kids are bigger and we can enjoy EACH OTHER as you obviously do - handsome boys you have :)
When I was in high school my GF had a horrific sunburn on her back & then we marched in our band in a parade in full uniforms - I remember her back peeling like that on the bus ride home, it's something you never forget.
That looks like a blast!
And we have a very minor league team near us, and it is always a fun (and cheap) time.
You have wonderfully handsome boys! Your baseball experience sounded fantastic! WE have never taken the boys' to a minor league game...we should, as i am sure they would love it! WE always seem to catch a Mariners game...ha :) {when in seattle}
And oh boy...I have NEVER EVER looked good in a bikini...and that last photo of you...AMAZING...AMAZING...AMAZING! You make a perfect surfer girlfriend. ♥
Okay, I hate to be shallow but you were one HAWT surfer girlfriend! I am so glad you put that picture in!
Your boys are absolutely gorgeous ... how fun to spend so much time with family and to get to do so many fun things together. All those cousins! How awesome ...
Sorry, I am behind. Your boys are so stinkin' cute. I like the shout out to bogo boy and LOVE that photo of you guys at the end.
Post a Comment