Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The First Day and the Last Day of Vacay

I am back from my summer vacation #1 and anticipate more posts coming with photos. I left for vacay as a parent to a 13 year old eldest son and am back now, the mother of a 14 year old. I can tell you that the number 14 sounds much older than 13, just like the number 7 was such a jump from 6.

One item that my son wanted for his birthday while on vacation was bongo drums. We have no idea where he got this idea. He told us this, “I see myself on the beach, playing them, in between surfing.” We said, “We see you on the beach, sitting quite a ways away from us.”

So we found them in a guitar store a week before we left town and hid them in a corner of our bedroom, under a sheet. I tried to find a box for them but never did. I made a mental note to myself a few times to be sure to put them in the Suburban before we left. He kept telling us which ones he saw on Amazon and that we only had a few more shopping days left.

We always leave for Florida (we are lucky to have many relatives who live in various beach locales and we visit several times a year) really early in the morning. This is so that we can spend 3 hours at the beach the first day to “get the road off”. Of course we always get too little sleep the night before our 5:00 a.m. wake-up. In the morning I got this idea to clip some roses and gardenias to bring along and as soon as I got into the SUV they spilled out of a plastic cup and watered the carpet before we even left the driveway. So Hubs got all huffy and mumbly and went back into the house to wrap them properly in wet paper towels and foil and came back out a few minutes later. That woke me up a little.

In fact, this adrenaline surge over the flower fuss situation was all a good thing because it jarred my brain more awake and when we were about two blocks away I said, “We have to go back!” The bongos (and another gift) were still under a sheet in our bedroom. The boys asked what I forgot and I said it was female related. There were no more questions. So into the house I went and came back out with this item the size of a microwave oven, wrapped in a blanket, and into the back of the SUV it went and then into the guest room at my mother-in-laws for a few more days until his official birthday.

By the way, this birthday son is the one who hurt his clavicle from that linedrive baseball. The orthopedic doc said it was most likely a stress fracture and there was nothing to do for it and to let any pain be his guide and he’d feel much better every passing week. I am happy to say that he was able to boogie board and play the bongos while in Florida. Thank goodness, as he is a complainer. He’ll admit it. Oh, we are open about that. Sort of like the first summer after he was born. He cried for three months. A few years ago we put two and two together and realized he was just complaining non-stop those first three months. So we are all really happy that he is on the mend, as he is not a good patient (but what 14 year old starting summer vacation would be?).

I had a wonderful time off and have been visiting my MIL and my BIL and SIL’s for over 22 years and some things we did the same as usual but we also had some new experiences.

I flew back yesterday from the West Palm Beach airport and I can’t believe it but I am putting in writing that I actually had a really good flight. The key to air travel from FL is to fly early in the a.m. Every night, including the night before I flew, an incredible rain storm came through, tossing palm fronds everywhere, with thunder and lightning galore. I am so so glad I was able to leave on a Monday a.m. and not Sunday night.

So the last day also started with an early wake up call and I was in the air at 7:30 a.m. with blue calm skies, no one eating on the plane, and a Starbucks coffee in my hands, and getting close to finishing the book, “The Help”, and no weird plane noises or bumpiness, or flight attendants acting foolish.

I didn’t take as many photos as I should have but will get them on the computer hopefully tonight. Right after I mow the lawn by myself for the first time in my life. I’ll report back on how that goes.

11 comments:

The Mother said...

You're a much better mom than I. No son of mine would ever, EVER get a drum set for a gift. Ditto the bagpipes that son #3 wanted.

There's plenty of time for them to take up noisy hobbies in college.

Ms. Moon said...

Did he like the bongos? That's so funny. That's what I wanted when I was a kid for no apparent reason. I never got them, dammit.

Becky said...

Very interested in hearing a review of "The Help" and also a review of how the lawn mowing went. I, too, have been exempt from that job my whole life because I tried it once as a teen and my dad did nothing but scream at me that the lines were crooked. So apparently I am inept and I've never tried again since.

Don't tell me there's a big jump from 6 to 7 - my oldest turns 7 next month! :(

tawny said...

I agree, 14 sounds MUCH older than 13! and good job on the drums.. :)

and we LOVE Florida..the sunshine, the palm trees, the blue water...you are so lucky! What a great vacay for you and the boys!!!

and btw, I LOVED THE HELP. I was so so sad when it was over. Those ladies were like my friends...sweet!

Happy summer days to you!!

Kim said...

Drums? Thank goodness that has not hit the wish list of any of my three. Yet.

Mowing the lawn? I have never done this - alone or with someone. I am thinking I might learn this year, too. I need the exercise!

Zion said...

That is so great. I am a bit of an amateur percussionist myself. It's starts with bongos, then a rain stick or some other auxiliary instrument, now I even own a set of full size congo drums! I am glad you all had a good trip.

Lawyer Mom said...

I'm just laughing and laughing picturing you bringing out a huge set of shrouded bongo drums, trying to pass them off as "female" related.

Jenni said...

Female related, HA! I'll have to keep that one in my arsenal for when my boys are older.

I'm assuming he loved the bongos?

Michele R said...

The Mother—The bongos next to reg drum sets in the store seemed tame. Ohh, I swoon when I hear bagpipes. I can only imagine how they’d sound from a novice, though.
Ms. Moon—he loved them. Do you still covet them?
Wedding Hostess—I loved The Help. I cannot believe this is a first novel for the author. Lawn mowing was a success but I’m sore! Hope to never do it again. Age 7, not a big jump—but doesn’t the number itself seem so different than 6?
Tawny—love FL too—that is where I get to hang with my sisters (in-laws) and I know you girl know what I mean.
Under the In—I think when they were little we said no to drums. This is just hands on those skins. Still, within 5 mins we told him to go outside.  I would have never mowed the lawn under anyone’s eyes. Do it when they are all gone for a while. They are in awe that I did it.
Messy—That is so neat! I am looking up congo drums now.
Lawyer Mom—I giggled at your comment. Hubs knew to back into our driveway and when I ran back out of the house the back of the SUV was pointed towards me so I opened it and put the item inside. Also had an Atlanta Braves shirt in there for him. But he did get a new skateboard early. He may have peeked that night at what was under the blanket in the corner of grandma’s bedroom.
Jenni—he did love them. So does the youngest. Oldest has reminded him daily of whom they belong.

Patois42 said...

I have a guitarist in my house, a boy who started playing at 8 and is now 13. And I have a drummer in my house, a boy who has drummed on anything and everything (and has burned through two drum kits) since he was 18 months old. He is now 8. Noisy as all get-out, but totally less noisy than the TV or bickering.

Happy birthday to your 14 year old. You're right. That sounds SO old.

Sara said...

“I see myself on the beach, playing them, in between surfing.” We said, “We see you on the beach, sitting quite a ways away from us.” Loved this!