Like all of the full moons, the Harvest Moon rises at sunset and shines all night long. So what’s special about the Harvest Moon? (from a site called Earthsky)...Usually the moon rises 50 minutes later every night. But not the Harvest Moon! At mid-northern latitudes, the Harvest Moon rises a little earlier than usual--more like 25 to 30 minutes after sundown for several evenings in a row. And at far northern latitudes, the Harvest Moon rises 5 to 10 minutes later for several evenings in a row. As I drive home from work like a maniac to see my family, it gives me a lift to see it so big and bright. The reason for the shorter-than-usual rising time between successive moonrises is that the plane of Earth's orbit around the sun makes a narrow angle with respect to the horizon in the evening in autumn. It looks more reddish because it is low in the sky.
In the days before electricity, farmers counted on the lamp of the Harvest Moon to gather their crops. Making up for the autumn season’s waning daylight, the Harvest Moon faithfully provides several nights of dusk-till-dawn moonlight. This bonanza of moonlight remains the legacy of the Harvest Moon!Last year the Harvest Moon was in early October, but 2 out of three years it occurs in September. I have been making a big deal about the Harvest Moon for ten years now, ever since my Youngest son was about to be born. My first son arrived 12 days early and it was on a full moon in June (a blue moon month in which there are two full moons in one calendar month). And although my second son was not born during a full moon, I was going for 2 out of 3. Although he arrived on his due date, a week after the full moon, I sure did gaze at that Harvest Moon a lot that month of September 10 years ago.
Since it has barely rained around here in the past month, I hope that doesn't change over the next two days so I can gaze at it and both reminisce and enjoy the promise of the fall ahead. Let me know how it looked in your part of the world.
11 comments:
We noticed last night was almost a full moon. Having a "science"' minded husband, he had to immediately look up when it would officially be a full moon, which is tonight!
Happy Autumn, a few hours early.
I always think of you when I see the full moon, or as Nate says, a "whole moon". :) Enjoy!
I love this! I got up last night because I couldn't sleep and the world was drenched in silver.
Tonight? I will pay better attention.
I love the Harvest Moon, though can't say I know when to expect it (now I do!) Usually I'm driving home from somewhere, turn a corner, and am BLOWN AWAY by the gorgeous, huge, low hanging orange moon. Can't wait. Uh-oh, it's cloudy here in Chicago, that's not good....
carols
p.s. great blog! I'm looking for blogs of moms of boys that are older...most bloggers have little boys...mine are 16 and 11.
Carols--nice to meet you. I started my blog after finding Laura from My Life is a Piece of Cake, and others. Seems we have things in common! Do you have a blog?
And it seems just the other day the moon was a half-moon. Then at 7:30 last night I was driving to the store and wham--it was huge and golden in the sky!
Last night Middle School Son and I stared at the moon together at about 10:15 p.m. We saw a planet (looked like a bright star) underneath it. Turns out, it is Jupiter, and tonight it will appear to the right of the moon….and the moon will appear lower than last night. And then even lower Friday night. Have a great night marveling at the moon.
P.S. Turns out that Middle School Son was just having a quiet night. He is back to appearing happy to hang with me and sharing stuff. For now.
Shine on, shine on. This post makes me think of Neil Young's Harvest Moon and the lyrics -- "I used to order just to watch her float across the floor. Now she's dressing two kids, looking for a magic kiss . . . ".
lovely...my daughter's middle name is MOon so i'm particularly inclined :)
I completely noticed the moon in the sky on Wednesday as I sat through a looooong football practice!
We were moon watching, too. It was a beauty!
15 years ago, my parents threw our engagement party outside in their backyard garden, under the Harvest Moon. This year, Hubs and I were able to sneak a small peek in between all the clouds, and Jupiter too. Very cool.
I love all your moon posts - education and entertainment :-)
Post a Comment