Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Day Snow May Have Broken Records but So Did This

We’re ten days into the new year, but I still feel like I have just arrived back from a relaxing, fun, long vacation, minus any dirty laundry and luggage.  Having ten days off at the end of the year was such a Big Deal for me—it was rare—it was wonderful—and I have refused to even put one word into a new agenda calendar for 2011.  It was like being on a small island vacation, like we used to with our family and also pre-kids, to a place where no cars exist, a place where you are so relaxed on the 7th day that you contemplate selling everything and never leaving.


 OK, I am exaggerating, it wasn’t as relaxing as that, but I have to say it has been painful putting on shoes, a bra and clothes after days of living in flannels and lounge pants.

 (instead of the boys mashing the gingerbread house to bits, this year Hubs got involved and put bottle rockets and firecrackers inside of it, but first the Tonka truck was involved).

But I have had to slowly but surely get ready for a business trip….although last night’s nature event may sideline those plans:
 (January 10th)

Christmas Day may have broken records for actually snowing on 12/25 for the first time in over 100 years, but I have never seen so much snow accumulate in one hour as it did last night, and it didn't stop for hours (but sleet continued all night).  I had peeked out the front door with Youngest at 9:00 and there was nothing happening yet, so we read together but then the snow started 30 minutes later.  Next thing you knew we let the kids go outside at 10:00 p.m. because it was so pretty and so powdery and we heard that it may turn to ice the next day.  Needless to say, school was cancelled.


 Today we have all been outside playing in it—the kids went out before 10:00 a.m. and Hubs and I walked alone about 30 mins later to another  ‘hood and watched people sledding.  No one is driving anywhere or those that try mostly spin their car wheels and get stuck.  

 On December 20th I had to fly halfway across the country to meet with a potential client and they liked us and now it is my client and I am supposed to be there on Wednesday.  Who knows if that will happen—it is so cold that the roads will look the same tomorrow if not worse. 

Here is a photo below of the angel on top of our tree.  She doesn’t match the style any more—before kids I decorated the tree all Victorian.  But a couple years ago I realized our angel reminds me of an air traffic controller angel—see her lights in each raised arm:


She is an angel over flights and now besides all my usual flight anxiety, now I have to worry about icy runways, icy wings, icy landing gear, an equally snowy destination, in the windiest part of the country, and at an airport that only has the body scanners as the only choice.  I might get the angel out of the attic tomorrow, but tonight I will cook some yummy food in the kitchen as usual (the Hubs and boys are constantly after me making dessert stuff so I don’t even bother with any body-weight resolutions as I have no will power) and enjoy the icy beauty at home.


11 comments:

Jenni said...

So cool!

Ms. Moon said...

You are so beautiful. And so is that snow. If you have to travel, I hope it is safely.

Anonymous said...

Michelle:

I found your blog on Sub Mat. We are enjoying our first real snow of the season after being ridiculously snowbound last winter. Given that it started so late, I know I can survive til April without the tundra-induced depression it led to last year.

My college son was incredulous at scenes of Atlanta on the news last night. What's the big deal with 4 inches of snow he asked? We told him they only had about 8 snowplows for the whole city and probably 1 bag of salt.

And re your previous post: our trees would not have gone up without the help of my daughter nor would they have come down without the aid of my son. Teenagers at their best! Funny how the tasks remain the same from year to year and yet my energy level plummets profoundly and exponentially with each passing year. :(

Mary

Michele R said...

Ms. Moon--thank you but I should add a caption that the photo is from long, long ago. Hubs just made it to the grocery store but I doubt I will have a flight tomorrow.

M--hello and thanks for your comment! We have not had this much snow--think it is 6 inches--in years and with it so cold it is not melting...or it may melt some then freeze again tonight for some bad black ice. Yes, no road service, plus it is the busiest airport in the world.
My energy level is down too so I am glad they have muscles. Hubs had them shovel a path out of our downhill driveway and the uphill street for about an hour today. They can use their muscles, BUT they have to be asked to even take out the trash or unload dishwasher that is sitting there...will that ever change?

Ash said...

"a place where you are so relaxed on the 7th day that you contemplate selling everything and never leaving"

Oh, if only.

Glad you're staying put : -)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Have a safe trip. Going out in the new fallen snow - one of those memories that never fades. How fun.

tiff said...

you have more snow that we do on the ground...oh this is some crazy weather! i love the photos...and you are beautiful still...i still love your profile pic!

enjoy all that white stuff!

InTheFastLane said...

I have lived in Indiana for almost 13 years and I am still excited as the snow falls.

Enjoy!

Maggie May said...

such a pretty picture of you!! love all the white white snow.

Patois42 said...

I was all prepared to be jealous of you going to some gorgeous tropical destination to relax. Now I realize I'm as jealous that you got that break even if it required flannels.

eye lift said...

Nice post Michele. I love these snowy pictures. I would like to go there and enjoyed some moments.