Monday, March 28, 2011

I Cried During Diary of a Wimpy Kid--Clearly I Am Worn Out

I was exhausted on Friday night.  I was home cooking shrimp with pasta and grilling salmon because our refrigerator #2 went on the blink and the frozen shrimp and fish had defrosted.  Eldest son runs in the door at 7:10 after having been out of the house since 6:30 a.m.--school and then baseball practice.  He runs in and through the kitchen asking if I could take him and a friend to the movies for a 7:35 movie.  Sure, I say.  Hubs was having a social hour with work friends, which he never does, so I obliged.  Seems there was texting to girls on the way over, who were waiting there.  The next day he told me he saw Diary of a Wimpy Kid--Roderick Rules, and that it was pretty funny.  Anyway, here is a recent shot of Eldest.  I just measured Eldest and Middle.  Middle has grown an inch in a month, and Eldest a half inch.

I had a date with Youngest to see this movie on Sunday--we had bought Red Vines for me the week prior, and Milk Duds for him and Starburst to share.  But we went on Saturday after all baseball games were cancelled due to the moonsoons that stayed around all weekend.

Previously I've blogged that Hubs and I won't go to the movies again for a long time, but I do like taking the kids (well, apparently Eldest makes his own arrangements now) and one expects noise from kids and a kid movie--it is not like it was The King's Speech.  We sat in a section to the right, and it was a bigger than usual theater.  I whispered to Youngest, "Isn't it nice not having anyone behind us or in front of us?"  Yep, jinxed it.  A mom arrived with 5 boys, and I totally get that.  The 5 boys sat behind us and the mom sat behind them.  However, if I did this and saw one of the boys with his foot on my chair about one centimeter from my head I'd nix-nay that.  I had to turn around twice and was "this" close to saying something when she noticed and told him to put his foot down.

Well, I cried during the movie.  I enjoyed it--it was all about Greg Heffly (a Middle) and his older bro and having to get along.  They toned down the parents--not as goofy as previous Wimpy movie.  My fave Harry Potter movie is the 3rd one because it was all about relationships too.  So here I am as usual--not enough sleep, stressed, and hormonal. 

A couple weeks ago I had to go to Albuquerque, NM for business.  I was so excited to see this different part of the USA for 48 hours.  I researched what to do and where to eat.  I had lots of quiet time in a hotel.  But I really, terribly missed being at home with the usual boy action.  It wasn't as great as I thought it would be and I realized that was because it wasn't really a vacation, and I wasn't with friends or family.  But I did take this photo in Old Town near sunset time:




11 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

That sunset picture is almost as impressive as the one of your son.
Lovely.

Making It Work Mom said...

Beautiful picture. Isn't it funny when all we talk about is getting "a break" and then we spend the whole break just missing our family so much!
I love when the children start making plans withoug you!

Zion said...

I haven't seen the first one yet, but I want to see both of them. I cry at the most random things too.

Megan said...

First, your son is a cutie! Or maybe I should use a term like "handsome" or "manly" in case he reads this. Also, I totally agree with Ms. Moon about the sunset photo. Wow. Must "ditto" Making It Work Mom. I always ache for a break and then cry as the airplane takes off to bring me to a meeting somewhere.

Ash said...

Oldest is attending his first big boy slumber birthday party this coming Friday.

Sigh.

That shot of your Oldest made me tear up a bit. Men. They're all becoming men, damn it!!!

Love your NM pict. Gorgeous :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Beautiful photo. And that alone time feeds you for all that boy time.

I love Red Vines, too. Can eat an entire package all by myself. Bad.

Becky said...

Pretty picture! I haven't seen the new Wimpy Kid but I loved the first one. Actually Laura got to see it on Sunday with her friends, but Hank and I saw Rango. Good but weird.

I miss you! Let's get togeddah.

InTheFastLane said...

I have gone on very few trips without my kids, and when I do, I always think about all they things they would like and feel guilty...sigh...

Becky said...

Thanks so much for saying women "bloom" in their early 40's! That was very encouraging!

I also like your take on alone time on this post and missing all the boy action. I imagine I would miss it, too, if I ever had alone time. I'm sure it will come sooner than I think, though!

Did you ever get to visit my friend Erin? She hasn't said anything about it.

Ameena said...

Gorgeous photo!

I too often wish I could just go on a trip by myself, but I know that I'd be lonely and I'd miss the people I constantly complain about. It's a vicious cycle, isn't it??

tiff said...

beautiful photo of new mexico.

you have such handsome boys'!

i think i want a weekend to myself, then i get it and i am good the first day..but after that i miss all my guys! so i understand...especially when it is not a sight seeing vacation!