Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Picking Through the Trash Twice in a Week

On the weekend we were missing "the red phone".  This is on of two cell phones we added a while ago to the house so that we would have a home phone and an extra phone for the kids to use.  Finally it was found deep into an arm chair cushion after every one of us tried looked under the cushion but finally Hubs reached down the side and found it.  Before it was discovered, I emptied out the kitchen trash can.  Call me crazy, but I have a small red camera and one day it was missing and I found it in the waste basket we keep next to a desk.

The second trash picking incident that occurred last night was much messier.  You know all those papers that kids bring home from school?  I only have one elementary school aged child left and I am still amazed at the amount of paper that is sent home.  Every Friday I check his folder and throw out papers.  But on Thursday night he decided to switch around a binder and he left a bunch of worksheet papers on the table. 

Now, here is how I make bacon: I put some sheets of folded up newspaper on a plate and then put three paper towels on top of that and then lay out the bacon strips and then microwave it for 4 minutes.  Many weekends I cook bacon on Sunday with a big breakfast.  Only this past weekend I made a big breakfast on Saturday.  There was no Sunday paper (Hubs is old fashioned and likes to get the Sunday paper and he brings home bagels so it works for all of us).  I needed some papers for my method of absorbing the bacon grease.  So I grabbed some of these busy-work-looking papers that Mr. 4th grader left lying around.  We had our breakfast, went on our merry way the rest of the weekend, which involves massive amounts of food cooking as usual.  And then of course there were lots of trash bags that went from the kitchen to the bin outside on Saturday.  And on Sunday.

Last night Youngest asks if I had seen a paper he had on the table with a story about water lilies (yes I did, because I read everything before I throw it out or use it for bacon-cooking). 
So the first time I ever use papers that are not newspapers to assist in my cooking of greasy bacon turns out to be papers that Youngest needs to turn in.  So in addition to everything else, I found myself last night in my work clothes going through 4 bags of kitchen trash outside with him.


He is actually taking these to school today -- they are folded up and in a ziplock bag.  I hope the teacher likes bacon.  He will ask for some new sheets and he tells me that he can't read some of his answers so he'll have to redo a few.

9 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

But who doesn't like bacon?

gretchen said...

Ha! I hope his teacher has a sense of humor! Maybe you should have sent some bacon along as an offering.

InTheFastLane said...

perfect!!!
They send home waaay to many papers anyway.

Paula @ Simply Sandwich said...

Love this post! Bravo for sending the papers in as-is!

Zion said...

OH DEAR! That is totally something I would do! You are a trooper.

Anonymous said...

Michele R. here.....
Youngest told me tonight that he saw his teacher first thing when she happened to pop into his "regular" class. He has to do the dreaded reading log for his "regular" teacher, which makes no sense, because he goes to a different teacher every day for math and language arts (which includes reading). Anyway, he says, "If you don't like bacon you won't like the smell of my homework." (as he opened the ziplock in front of her). She laughed. She said it smelled good. She also told him he could redo his answers on lined paper.....

Patois42 said...

If I were a teacher, I would love to have all my kids hand in their work on bacon-scented paper.

Making It Work Mom said...

So happy she had a sense of humor- some teachers are not as pleasant! The things we do for our children. I live in fear of throwing a piece of paper away that someone will need (my hubby works from home so I feel like he always has a ton of paper). If I am throwing away a pile of papers first I "bag" it in a grocery bag, tie it and then toss it in the garbage (this totally would not have worked in your bacon situation). I know very elaborate!!!

Ash said...

I'm trying to stifle my giggles as Hubs is asleep next to me. Glad the teacher was a sport.

Way better than the "dog ate my homework." Second thought, hope teach doesn't have a dog.