Hubs is now on day two of officially being back-to-work as a teacher. So after 8 weeks of neither one of us needing an alarm we are now back to using an alarm.
One day last week I needed the alarm due to a 9:00 job interview. For a company seems to be a little cultish. I was told that when they hire someone they want to be 100% sure of the fit and they don’t ever want a new employee to leave. I had visions of The Firm by John Grisham. I can tell by their interview questions that they’re super concerned with their new hire fitting in and getting along. And the next step is to have me take a personality test – which I did yesterday and that sucker was 132 questions long! Toward the end it asked the same question like 16 times but in different ways. Not a fan of company owners and managers trying to figure out how an employee will fit into the role by taking a "personality" test. Maybe I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't feel like they were all drinking the Kool-Aid.
Another firm—the complete opposite in style as they are more interested in how I would service the clients and could potentially work from home (pls keep your fingers crossed for me) -- does phone interviews only. I have “passed” several steps and moved from an initial phone call with the recruiter who found me, then weeks later the process moved along with another recruiter from same company calling me to set up an official recruiter call. Then a few days later I spoke to a manager, then two days later another manager and next I’ll hear from the recruiter #2 again and then if all is still a go then I’d have a phone interview with a higher-up manager and then I don’t know what happens after that except that my 15 year old son may be graduating high school by then.
Back to now having to get up from an alarm—I may point out that I don’t need to be anywhere, but since Hubs does now, I wake up too. Which would be fine, in fact it would be great to get my day started before the three boys get up so I can get some things done quietly such as write job interview thank yous and make job search phone calls and online applying and creative ways to pay bills.
And ideally I'd get a good night's sleep, which is not happening. Because Hubs is waking me up after I have fallen sleep, hours before anyone needs to get up. It's getting on my nerves. One night he got up because he thought he heard a noise downstairs. Last night it was because he woke up and wondered if he had closed the garage doors. I wake up when he opens our bedroom door.
The really crazy one was last weekend when he woke me up at 7:00 a.m. to tell me he was shaving off his “devil’s beard” because he felt like it was suffocating him. There was no alarm clock involved. Just some bad dream he was having. See, when we went out West that dry air made our formerly humidity-filled skin dry out and made shaving his face painful so in early June on the road trip he started growing a beard. I liked it and the boys liked it. Eldest told him he was rocking the beard.
Some people he works with saw it last week and they liked it. I figured he would shave it before meeting his students and parents soon. I did not figure he would announce to me at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday that he really must shave it off at that moment. I do have a photo from the 4th of July and for that I am glad.
I am not a frequent medicine-taker, but last night I seriously thought about taking a Benedryl at night now and then. Because I must get my sleep to be ready -- one never knows when new interviews pop up and to be ready for more same questions such as: what are you most proud of......what are your weaknesses.........what are five words your friends would use to describe you!
Some people he works with saw it last week and they liked it. I figured he would shave it before meeting his students and parents soon. I did not figure he would announce to me at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday that he really must shave it off at that moment. I do have a photo from the 4th of July and for that I am glad.
I am not a frequent medicine-taker, but last night I seriously thought about taking a Benedryl at night now and then. Because I must get my sleep to be ready -- one never knows when new interviews pop up and to be ready for more same questions such as: what are you most proud of......what are your weaknesses.........what are five words your friends would use to describe you!
9 comments:
Oh interview questions are painful. Fingers crossed for the work at home job.
I always wonder why people make applicants jump through so many hoops to get the job, generally when I am interviewing someone I know within the first 10 minutes if they are going to be a good fit or not.
It's nice to know that other families and their lives are as insane as mine. Try the Benedryl. It works.
What position are these two job examples for, Michele?
Funny about your hubby - must be back to work stress. And yes, take the benadryl! I take one every night about 30 minutes before I go to bed so that I don't lay there for an hour unable to shut my brain off!
Oh honey, we have got to get you some earplugs! Hubby could shave right next to you in bed and you'd never know!
Fingers crossed on a great job working out for you.
Ugh! I think I'd never get the job. I'd be a complete smart ass in answering those questions.
Good news you are getting the interviews. Will hope you get one that lets you work from home. Doesn't sound like the Kool-Aid people will let you go home.
(Take the Benedryl.)
Sominex.Those job interviews sound grueling. When I go on job interviews they just make me pretend to like a certain brand of laundry detergent or some such thing.
OMG! Personality test? This does sound creepy. Hubs "devil's beard" shaves it cuz he had a nightmare. So funny! Not the 7 a.m. thing, though. OMG The Firm! Yes! The absolutely BEST thing about any vacation, or any weekend for that matter is the going to bed getting up thing. Not having to go to bed early, and not having to wake up early and go to work. Honestly. The best thing ever. It's what I live for. And I can't believe it's almost over for me, too. Kool-Aid! :) Great post! I want the devil's beard pic. Email it to me.
i am hoping you got the job you want...i can't believe your husband is back to work already...and he is not even in admin. my guy is back to work...but we have another couple of weeks...and the boys' have 3 weeks.
i can't imagine the interview process these days...i have been lucky with my teaching gigs...as i have been interviewed the last two times via the telephone(not skype)...
i am wishing you the best.
hugs!!!
Personality test? Run away. Run away!!
I learned the benefits of one Benedryl while 8 mos. pregnant with #1 - totally cool, totally helped. Helped so much, I still do it, just like Wander.
It does the body good.
Post a Comment