Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labor Day and My First Job


With a few exceptions during college years, and much later in between jobs due to layoffs, beginning at the age of 16 or 17 I have earned a paycheck. My first job was working in a movie theater in Westwood, CA. My brother was the wingman for my job--his best friend was the manager and so it was easy to get hired. During my senior year I worked on Friday nights and on Sundays. Back then I had to wear a blue polyester pants suit. Luckily it stayed at the movie theater and got washed and returned--no one outside the job had to see me in it. I'd either sell the tickets in the front window or I would sell the refreshments. I really enjoyed it--making work friends, getting to see all the movies that were playing, and getting paychecks.

I remember when Little Darlings was playing. Now I think that movie is one of the best movies of the '80's. Kristy McNichol's talent was incredible. Matt Dillon is simply gorgeous. And the scene where they meet and she blows a bubble gum bubble while sitting in a school bus and he is standing there flirting with her and he grabs it out of her mouth and puts it in his--sexy. And it was filmed in GA where I live now.

Anyway, one night Tatum O'Neal came with some friends to see Little Darlings in which she starred. I thought that was kind of weird. The movie was rated R. I'm not sure if she was old enough but I sold her and her friends their tickets. She was beautiful with minimal make-up. Actresses now at that young age don't seem natural anymore.

Besides weekends during high school, I worked there the summer after high school and the summer after my freshman year of college. I wonder what kind of part-time jobs my boys will get when they are older. But today we will just rest and play (and do homework).
What were your first jobs?

12 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

I worked at a theater, too, but got fired because I couldn't make change! (That was before computers computed it for you). And I think I made out with a guy up in the projector room.

Lawyer Mom said...

My very first job was as a waitress at "Po Folks" (spelled "Poor Folks" but they made us say PO) when I was in high school. Children twelve and under ate for free. The restaurant would put monstrous-sized families in the back room (the "barn") where the tips were slim, let me tell you. After my fifth trip to the Barn, I quit.

But then, things hadn't been going so well at PO Folks for a while. A police officer said he knew what he wanted, but "it's not on the menu" -- hardeeharhar -- so I called the manager over to "assist" him. The manager was not amused. Neither was the police officer. But was I? Terribly.

Elizabeth said...

I always wanted to work in a movie theater. In fact, I wish I could work in one, now! My first job was working at Saks Fifth Avenue as a stock-girl. My father was the general manager of the one in Atlanta, so it wasn't a job that I "earned." Even so, I learned how to fold clothes really well and wrap presents and do math -- I worked there all through high school, making a lot of spending money to take to college!

honeypiehorse said...

Ah yes, Tatum and Kirstie. THey don't make 'em like that any more.

Becky said...

I worked at Little Caesars and it was really fun. As an adult, you don't usually get to work with all your friends. I worked there for 4 years, starting when I was 17, and my current officemate wants to make a drinking game based on how often I bring up that job. Somehow, everything still seems relevant to me today!
Has it REALLY been 20 years since I started working there? EEEGADS!

Christy said...

I have not seen that movie -will have to add it to my queue. My first job was as a hair washer at a salon. I lasted about 1.5 days. Then my first real job after that was as a sales girl at Dress Barn. Loved that job -- for the same reasons as you. Except the movies, obviously - substitute clothes at a discount there. :)

Wander to the Wayside said...

I have an award for you at my place ... the Honest Metal Award, for blogs that write from the heart. Come on over and get it!

Becky said...

I agree with Elizabeth, I always thought it would be fun to work at a movie theatre. I figured that you'd get to watch the movies for free.

My first job was at McDonald's, the summer after high school. It was a good experience to have had, I guess. The uniform was not a pleasant part of the experience. Very, very high-waisted black polyester pants.

Ash said...

I worked in the bakery section of our local grocery store - a friend talked me into it, and then we recruited more, so every night was just a whole lot of fun mixed with scrapping sludge off the grill into the grease trap and writing nice messages on cakes.

I worshipped every measely check I received.

The Mayor said...

Even now on the phone people ask me if my mother is home (I'm middle aged for God sake). When I'm feeling bitchy I respond with, "no, she's dead".
My first job was selling carpet cleaning over the phone, people probably thought they were being prank called from a first grader.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://wyvalyge.wtcsites.com/ipykexit.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real money.
It's all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]