Monday, September 21, 2009

Rainy Days and Mondays

I wonder if we will be able to legally once again wash our cars in our driveway once these rains have stopped. Hard to believe that one and two years ago we were in a terrible drought. It seems like it has rained every day for about 10 days now. There are other parts of Georgia that are much worse off. People were being rescued in boats this morning.

We have been meaning to drive around and look at other houses for new paint color ideas and we drove around yesterday even though it was raining. We drove down a cul-de-sac near our house and saw water, stained red from Georgia's dirt, absolutely pouring down a driveway, coming down like a waterfall. Seems like everyone's backyard, including ours, was washing away and into this one person's driveway.

And a neighbor has a little stream going across his lawn.

The reason we are looking at paint colors is we have a contractor getting ready to redo the cedar siding on our house. Especially around the chimney at the back of the house. The chimney exterior: old, worn out wood, which is saturated and now leaking into our basement ceiling. We knew we needed to get this done last spring and I have cringed each time it rains. Each day there is a new ceiling tile that is soaked. And the other part of the basement, near the front of the house which is actually underground? ? I have to go tell the Hubs that I feel some water under the carpet.

Earlier tonight we drove to a nearby park with the Chattahoochee River flowing through it. Normally there is a long walkway here that leads to even more steps down into the river.
The kids are going to have their second day off from school tomorrow. It is unheard of around here to close for rain, but even major highway intersections were under water at 4:00 a.m. today.

Since there was no school I didn't get to bring in my specially ordered doughnuts to school for Youngest Son who had a birthday (to share with his 17 classmates). So now we have 24 chocolate iced glazed doughnuts with sprinkles on them. And leftover cake.But no one seems to mind, not the Youngest Son who didn't get enough time anyway to play with his new Raider CS-35 Nerf gun or Wii Sports Resort. And even older brothers are not too old to play with their old Nerf guns either in war games in the basement. I'll tell them some other time that these days off mean they just get added back on later in the year.

10 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

Sounds like you had a fun morning. I LOVE no-school days. Maybe they make me feel like a kid again?

I saw on the news tonight the kind of flooding you guys are having. Horrific! I hope the rain stops soon. Too bad it can't be diverted to the droughtland of Texas.

Becky said...

Imagine missing the day you're having birthday treats brought in! Unfair! But they don't look too troubled.

And yeah, I thought of that--this means that inclement weather day in January won't be a holiday. Oh well.

Stay dry, y'all. Finally our schools are closed tomorrow.

Zion said...

Well we don't have any flooding here (south Dallas), but boy has it been wet! It rained for over a week, we had a couple days off, and tonight it is severe storms which are supposed to continue on through tomorrow. Whew, it really messes with my schedule.

honeypiehorse said...

I've always thought gray looks nice on a wooden house. And there's nothing wrong with too many donuts!

Wander to the Wayside said...

We're in northwest Georgia, and it rained over 4" on Saturday, then 8"-12" on Sunday thru Monday. So we do have a lot of flooding, and just walking on the grass puts water up to your ankles because the ground is so saturated.

Christy said...

I hope your house doesn't sustain too much damage...I can't believe how much rain you're getting - those pictures are amazing.

Have fun eating doughnuts and cake!

Sara said...

Doughnuts and Nerf guns and no school? I'm a little jealous. :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Well, let them eat cake!

Glad to hear your drought is ending. Hope ours does, too. Although, to add cliche to cliche - when it rains it pours.

Bad, I know.

Happy birthday to your son. Good luck with the painting.

Ash said...

I hope today dawned drier! Though being stuck inside with 24 chocolate covered doughnuts doesn't sound too bad.

We LOVE Wii Resort Sports, and seriously, is there any worse feeling than debating when to tell the Hubs that something in the house needs attention. Timing baby, timing.

Michele R said...

I sure did want to stay home. I stayed home on Monday till about 10:30 but then had to go to work. No problems on the roads in my radius. And everyone stayed home on Tues except for me. But I was popular at work having brought in some doughnuts.
And then this afternoon there was blue sky and no rain, but it is supposed to come back tomorrow.
Went bowling for reals on Sunday and scored a 100. Then the Wii Resort was opened. I scored a 148 in a third of the time. Why do I need to go out to bowl anymore?