Friday, September 25, 2009

Sports Teams and Snacks: Can’t We All Just Feed Our Own Offspring?

About ten years ago I stepped into the world of organized, recreational sports and signed my oldest son up for soccer. Besides the uniforms to buy, the practices, the game dates and rain-out make-up dates, there is also a designated date(s) on which to be Snack Mom (or Dad). My head would hurt from the math if I told you how many different teams of baseball, soccer, football and roller hockey on which my 3 boys have played.

Here is a nice snack mom memory: on one soccer team a child had severe allergies and that mom stated if everyone gave her $3 she would have small waters and snacks at each and every game. Genius.

Here is a painful memory: for football the team mom decided that for each game a parent had to provide orange slices and Gatorade at half time, another parent for drinks at end of game, and another parent for snacks at end of game. There were 30 players plus the coaches we were told for whom to provide. Once we saw her yell at a kid who did not want the ice cream sandwich provided by a Snack Mom.


Here is a memory from a 6th/7th grade baseball team: a coach (a dad) sent us parents an email that we (the parents) remember to tuck a jacket in our son’s bag in case it gets cool and to pack a snack for the boys because sometimes they get hungry before the game (I told my son that having his baseball bag ready means he puts in a water and anything else he needs ready before departure time).


Here is a great idea: LET'S NOT PROVIDE SNACKS.

Last night my 3rd grader had a baseball game at 6:00--to be at the batting cages at around 5:15. And I was Snack Mom last night. Which means during my lunch hour I ran through Target getting 12 small Gatorades and a box of 12 Oreos or Chips Ahoy cookies. (And the other usual $100 worth of stuff the guys in my house eat and barely make last a week).


I waved to Hubs who had our 3rd grader with him as we passed each other on our street. I then had to unload all the goods, put the 12 drinks on ice, get the other two boys and stuff loaded up and drop off oldest son at the 8th grader’s field by 6:00 for his 7:00 game. I then hustled across the park to watch my 3rd grader’s game. After the game each boy saw I was Snack Mom and reached in the cooler for a Gatorade and a snack. Besides my son, one boy out of 12 said thank you. They are 3rd and 4th graders.


We then went over to the 13 and 14 yr old field to watch my 8th grader play some. Did I mention that I am the Team Mom……..and No One Has To Provide Snacks for these boys. Yep, I implemented a “Let’s simplify our busy lives and bring our boys home for own dinner and dessert Policy.” There was not a grumble. I have noticed in many ways that by this age even the parents have seemed to change, and I like it a lot.


Btw, last spring I was the team mom for the 11/12 yr old team and I suggested that the boys are older now and perhaps each player should provide his own drink and snack. The coach supported this and only one mom stated that it was unusual but that would be fine.


I took my other two sons home and didn’t see the end of my 8th grader's game. Later after he got home with Hubs, my 13 yr old said to me, “You know what, after the game I saw that the other team had snacks handed out. It looked so weird! I mean--we are all 13 and 14 yrs old!”


And at this age the coach has decided to no longer award a “game ball” to a remarkable player of each game. Because they are a team. I love it.

14 comments:

Zion said...

I remember there was an Everybody Loves Raymond epside about this.
Uh, my head hurts just thinking about it. I am not there yet, but I appreciate you paving the way for future team moms like me, because I think it's ridiculous. It makes more sense to bring your own snack. It takes care of everything from costs to allergies to picky eaters. Way to go Michele!

Unknown said...

AMEN, sister!

I never understood the Snack Mom/Dad thing. What a complicated, unnecessary thing and yes, each parent should just get their own kid's damned snacks! Your examples are hilarious!

InTheFastLane said...

I sooooo agree. My son's spring baseball coach said something like "kids eat enough junk, I don't think we need to provide more for them." He might have been my favorite coach ever.

The fall ball coach? Snack snack snack. And so, when I forgot it was my turn and had to buy snack tickets at the concession stand, it turned out I had no cash and no ATM within 10 miles. Luckily, they took my check :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"My head would hurt from the math if I told you how many different teams of baseball, soccer, football and roller hockey on which my 3 boys have played."

I can appreciate that math. You are brave to volunteer for team mom. I always hid behind a tree when they were looking for those. And the time when we arrived at too old for snacks? Yeah - like make them pack their own!

I so appreciate where you are.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I don't think it's a big deal to do snacks once a season, but I understand your point. I have seen that the younger children enjoy the snack more than the game. Now that our kids are bigger, we don't do snack, banner, nothing except for our own son and end of season party and gift card for coach. Pretty low key. I just do what I am told by the coach, just go with the flow, easier on all of us. Great post, thanks for sharing.

honeypiehorse said...

I too have always thought that kids can run about for an hour or two without expiring unless they get organized snacks.

Becky said...

Omg I LOVE THIS TOPIC. We are barely getting into this world, but I have wondered why our healty well-nourished children cannot participate in an activity without snacks.

It's just another venue for parental freak-outs and tyranny like the ice cream sandwich yeller's.

Jen said...

Amen to that. My daughter is a Brownie & the memo came home about snacks. The troop meeting is from 4:30 to 6pm - do we need a snack? Can't the girls get a snack at home before the meeting & eat dinner at home afterwords? Makes no sense. Plus the kids only want junk food.

Lawyer Mom said...

I'd love to be on your team. What always got me were the snacks served RIGHT before dinner (snacks so full of sugar that the children had no appetite afterwards). Mid-afternoon is one thing, but a bunch of junk at 6:00 p.m.? Bad. We brought our own snacks on those days.

Ash said...

Lord how I love you!! I want to be on your team.

In a world where EVERYTHING revolves around food, I would love if it were just about the sports. Having two kids with food issues (allergies and PKU) it would be nice to not worry about them being on the outside AGAIN because of an f-ing snack.

Were on a new soccer team this year for Oldest, and I didn't even mention his peanut issue. It's just not worth it. He never wants to eat after running for an hour anyway - go figure.

Sorry to leave a novel, but this is a topic near and dear, my dear.

Patois42 said...

You've inspired me. I must write about the snackitics (snack politics, trademark pending) in our area.

I muscled my way into "snack coordinator" for the second grader's soccer team this year with the sole intention of saying NO SNACKS at night games and something reasonable at day games. The oldest? I couldn't get there in time to be his teams's "snack coordinator," but I raised a ruckus about how silly it is to give 12-year-olds and 13-year-olds anything. I lost that one.

Sarahviz said...

HATE providing the snacks! I wouldn't mind if they did away with it as well.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I am with you on this, I like snack for the little kids, but now that my oldest is 14 y/o, it's like enough already. It was 110 here last week during their game and I did bring popsicles on dry ice for after the game as a special treat.
I do however just go with what the coach/team parent want to do, so they don't volunteer me!

Kim said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I stopped in and saw this blog entry which cracked me up because I am snack mom tonight and I keep thinking "Come ON, when does this stop?"