Friday, September 4, 2009

Tonight is a Full Moon But It Is Not the Harvest Moon

About nine years ago I had heard that the September moon was the Harvest Moon. I was paying attention to the moon because I was due with my third baby on the 19th and I wondered if the baby would arrive sooner, closer to the full Harvest moon. It was a beauty, bigger than ever, low in the sky and glowed orange.

Ever since then I remembered about September being the Harvest Moon. And it is every 2 out of 3 years. But this year the Sept. full moon is on Sept. 4 and next month's full moon will be Oct. 4. The Harvest Moon is the one that falls closest to the equinox, which is 9/22. So that makes the October full moon the Harvest Moon.

So what is the name of tonight's full moon? The Full Corn Moon. That's all I got. Except that next month I will have to figure out what happens to the Hunter's Moon. Because when there is a Sept. Harvest Moon, there is an October Hunter's Moon.

Maybe on the way home tonight I will stop at the store for some dinner supplies and pick up some corn on the cobb. We have no other plans. Which is a great way to start out this long weekend.

(Photo taken from Google Images. Great idea for the yard next month!)

6 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

Ok, that's really cool stuff about the moon. But my question is - what's the deal with that picture? At first glance I thought it was a man bending over tending a garden, then I look closer and thought surely that's not a man, but a scarecrow without a head? So I zoomed it and ... still can't figure out what it is. A scarecrow bending over with two small pumpkins sticking out of the back of his jeans? Please solve this mystery so I don't have to keep coming back for a look see ...my sanity and whether I make an appointment to have my eyes checked depends on your answer.

Becky said...

I know what it is! It's a dummy with a pumpkin for a butt that's supposed to be "mooning", right? Very cute picture to go with this post! :)

Michele R said...

Darn photo won't enlarge! It's a dummy in a yard bending over with two same sized pumpkins for his behind so he is mooning us. I've always wanted to make a dummy for Halloween decorations--stuff some old jeans, plaid shirt--I gotta do it this year because it is probably the last year all 3 of my boys will be trick or treating.

Becky said...

That is hilarious. Our neighborhood has a big scarecrow contest and that thing would win a prize.

Y'all have a great weekend. And I never knew that about the Harvest Moon.

tawny said...

That's so funny you posted this because last night sitting on our porch we commented on how bright and beautiful the moon was. We loved feeling the glow all around us... so cool! love the info...

honeypiehorse said...

I usually can't sleep when the moon is full.