Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's the Everyday Things, and the Rest of the Story

Last night in bed I said to my husband that I felt like a really bad mom because there is a lot of childhood info about my boys that I have not recorded.

“Like what,” he asked?


“Like their height and weight each year. I didn’t write it anywhere else. When I have taken them to the doctor I know they grow, and they know they grow, but I don’t come home and write it anywhere. And I don’t take them to Well Visits much anymore anyway. And I don’t have much of a baby book for them,” I answered.


“So what, my mom didn’t either,” he said (he's brief, albeit sympathetic).


I thought about that for a second. He’s right—she didn’t. He doesn’t have a baby book at all. And he turned out OK. Not to mention he and I both have about zero baby pictures of ourselves. But he does have congrats cards saved from his parents’ well-wishers, and a card from the hospital nursery listing his weight, date and time of birth. I have that too and the only growth measurements my mom wrote down are up till age two (I kept track of my stats starting at age 10). My mom wrote down how old I was when my baby teeth grew in, but I don’t think that I have for my kids. Oh I have tons of their baby teeth. Just have no clue what day they were lost or from whose mouth.


I do have the hospital bracelets of my first two boys. I even saved baby #3’s placenta (whole ‘nother story), made a belly cast that was later lost and then found, and have their births recorded on obsolete 8mm tape. I have a set of hand prints in plaster! I have photos! (not nearly as many as I could have though). There are boxes of cards they’ve made for me. Stories written and drawings are in plastic bins. We have vacations memories and photos.


Like I said in my post the other day I don’t think my boys will be too sad when they are grown up that they may not know exactly what height they were in 2005 to 2009. And I just realized that I can call up a certain pediatrician’s office and ask for copies of their files, which should have dates and heights and weights (not too many from past two years, but enough).


I may be able to salvage a few of their height markings from the garage door molding that has had the paint scraped off now. It’s really hard to read but I may be able to decipher some of it. It looks like this now:

So here’s the rest of the contractor story. After work on Tuesday we met with the contractor owner, who told us he was a man of his word and wanted to make things right and wanted to compensate us for the horrific mistake and he said he even got teary eyed over it. I said we hadn’t thought of a price—we’re just not that way, although I was very angry this past Friday (and then I got teary because perimenopause is pulsing through my veins these days).


My husband told him that when the work and touch ups get completed, he wants to be able to say he’s glad he hired them, and that he wants to be able to recommend him to the neighbors when they come asking, and that we’ve had other occurrences in our life that actually put into perspective of what is truly important. Hubs mentioned my blog again and how I reported that even though it was 7:00 on a Friday the foreman was trying to fix it. The owner really wanted us to name a price. We didn’t speak first. He really wanted to compensate us financially. We told him we couldn’t think of one. So he named

a price to take off the total cost and we shook on it.


Monday night was raining again and I had a craving all day for this cream cheese frosting recipe. So on the fly I suggested to Youngest son that we make cupcakes. Having a box of cake mix cut down on time and to “make it mine” I added a little scoop of powdered sugar, two tablespoons of cocoa, and a squirt of Hershey’s syrup. He was so happy, happy, happy to lick the beaters and next we made the frosting. I was going to keep the frosting off-white colored but he wanted blue, so why not. For the first time ever I spooned it into a zip lock bag, snipped off a corner and piped on the frosting. I do this with deviled eggs and it looks so much better. They really turned out pretty and were very tasty. I won’t make any other kind of frosting again, it was perfect.


So why mention the cupcakes? They made the boys really happy, just like reading at night makes the Youngest happy and the other things I do with the other two make them happy. There are many things that will be more memorable to them (I hope!) than the growth chart.

16 comments:

Christy said...

Yeah for making them happy! I don't have a baby book for myself, or anything like that either. And I've been terrible about keeping one for Fiona. Oh well.

Hey - I LOVE to make deviled eggs and never thought about the plastic bag trick. Will do that next time and be sure to report back! Love that idea!

Becky said...

Isn't this blog part of your record of them? Who really cares about their measurements and weight - better to record what they are actually LIKE at each stage. I have a book of quotes from my boys. Like when Sammy was 1 1/2 and Owen was 3, my husband asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up. Sammy said "Spiderman" and Owen said "I want to dress fancy like Mama." Now THERE'S something to remember! (and never let him forget - ha ha!)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Bracelets, placenta, cast, 8mm film of their births? I'm thinking you're covered.

How about getting those measurements and purchasing a paper growth chart from a teacher supply store. Re-record and you can take it with you where every you move.

Mine's in the laundry room, awaiting the final tally for the 17 year old who has now bypassed Dad and oldest brother. Middle brother rules on an added piece of paper at 6'3".

Meanwhile, send me some of those cupcakes. I never was that creative with my boys.

honeypiehorse said...

Y'know, my mom made me a nice baby book and I LOST it. I think you're OK. If you bake for them, they'll like that better.

Patois42 said...

I kind of look at it the way Surrounded by Boys does: at least my blog keeps track of the past three years!

Any chance you can somehow "lifesize" the original photo and at least have the markings put back onto the house? (With a Sharpie, yeah, yeah, yeah. Like I haven't already done that on my wall since your adventure.)

Wander to the Wayside said...

I think you'd have a hard time finding a mother of even one child who is consistent with the baby or memory books, and you add another child or two and it's impossible! My daughter has trouble even finding time to do the dishes, so forget keeping two books up to date! You're doing fine, and in the bigger scheme of things, ten or twenty years down the line it will be the story of the markings getting painted over and how upset mom was that will be remembered.

Lawyer Mom said...

You sound like an excellent historian. But even if you weren't, your boys will remember the cupcakes forever, while their babybooks will just go into some old chest somewhere. Fret not.

Zion said...

I think every mom feels that way. I am freaking out that I won't do as much for this next one that I did with my first, and it's probably true, but oh well. Now as for the "I even saved baby #3’s placenta (whole ‘nother story)" that's not going to cut it, I have to hear the story!

Pseudo said...

I wasn't good at all about keeping baby books for either of my kids. They turned out alright. We have lots and lots of photos though.

I LOVE cream cheese frosting.

Sara said...

I've definitely felt the same way. I have no idea who has a baby book and who doesn't. And it's not like I have a dozen kids to keep track of. How's that?!

The main goal I had for my blog was to try to keep a record of the family. And....I wish I was doing better at that! But, it's better than nuthin.

I can tell how much you love and treasure those boys, so I'm sure they are rich with memories! It's unavoidable! :)

Jack Steiner said...

FWIW, I don't think that we have a lot of that stuff written down about my kids. It is hard to be dedicated about it.

Debbie said...

Amen! Or at least that is what I hope every day since I didn't record things either:)

tiff said...

your blog for one will be quite a book someday for your boys' to read. i get that pang of guilt sometimes and then remember that i have my blog, my digital photos, all our vacations together, and traditions we do as a family and with the kiddo's.

your boys' will not be at a loss because they do not have full pages in a baby book...everything will be okay!

♥ hugs ♥

Maggie May said...

Must be something in air, worrying about being a good parent!

Ymmm deviled eggs!@

Jen said...

For me, the blog is a scrapbook, all the kids will be getting from me is a big box with all the stuff I saved - they can make their own books if they want :)

Maybe you could do this for a growth chart? If you felt you needed one - I love it http://themacdougallfamily.blogspot.com/2009/10/growth-chart.html

Coffee with Cathy said...

So sorry that you lost such a precious record of your sons' growth, but sounds as if you're handling it just fine, with a balance between sad regret and realizing what's really important in your family. Good for you. And I love your cupcakes!!!