them out of the kitchen so that we can have some quiet time and not hear the oldest two constantly contradicting each other.This past Sunday it felt too cold and Hubs said he would drive to get the paper (we only get the Sunday paper and no longer subscribe to it thinking it would be some exercise we could do together). That was fine with me and I lounged around with coffee, folding laundry, picking up messes, the usual.
After about 25 MINUTES it suddenly occurred to me that driving 1.5 miles and back would have taken a lot less time than this and where was he? Of course he left his cell phone on the counter at home. I waited 5 minutes with my heart beating faster. I stood in the garage and looked up the street. He had taken our 3rd vehicle: a very small, older truck that replaced the bigger truck that combusted last year. I then heard sirens possibly several blocks away and panicked. I imagined that a bigger vehicle collided with him in an intersection. I ran in the house and up to the bedroom to fling off my pink and purple fuzzy socks, change out of my flannel pajama bottoms and threw on a sweatshirt over my t-shirt to cover up my breastesses because I was convinced that I would need to look halfway presentable as I was going to surely come upon a wreck and then have to get out of my car.
In just a couple of minutes I had all these thoughts: I cannot possibly deal with life without him—I cannot raise these 3 boys alone—I cannot cope with my upper-generational family without his rational support—I cannot possibly have this happen to us. I think years ago once at night I got scared like this. But this was not a usual feeling, definitely not a routine for me to freak out like this. Truth be told, I recall a couple years ago being so mad at him that I wished he’d go away. What a roller-coaster marriage can be. Anyway, one out of three boys was awake but down in the basement so I just yelled something about being back shortly.
I backed out of the driveway and headed down the street. Here comes Hubs in the little, old truck. We both slow down. We stop and lower our windows. He has a puzzled smile such as, “Were you really looking for me, but maybe you have some other reason to be flying down the road with your hair still in last night’s ponytail and no lip gloss.”
I told him I thought he was smooshed in an intersection because surely it didn’t take this long to get the Sunday paper. Well he had decided to go to Home Depot as well and beat the weekend traffic. So we both pulled our cars back into the driveway and continued on with our Sunday routine.
So you know what’s going on with me? It’s hormones. They are a-changin. For a month now, especially in the mornings and evenings, I will get a flush of heat across my back and arms. I’ll wake up in the a.m. and not even care that Hubs has all the covers pulled off of me because I don’t need them at all. I have a sister-in-law (SIL) who is about 8 years older than I am. Well I have several of them—I am sure we’ll have lots of conversations on this at Thanksgiving. Anyway I remember a few years back (before I could relate) that she was insane with worries. She had a new licensed daughter driving and when my SIL would hear sirens she’d freak and with her hospital job would hear of a young driver accident victim arriving in the ER and panic.
The other day I said out loud at home, “Oh my gosh I’m so hotttt!!!” and my 13 yr ol
d turned around and said, “What?” And I said, “You know how your hormones are changing because you are going through puberty and so your systems are revving up and trying to figure out the right chemical balance for your growing body???? Well mine did too once but now 35 years later my hormones are all changing again which happens when you get older!!!”” (I really need to pick my audience better).And this is going to take years, people. I think I am going to be pre-menopausal for years. And guess who will be a new driver in the house in about 2.5 years? And then another son will be driving 20 months after that. And then another 2.8 years after him. I'd better keep my gas tank full and my tennis shoes ready for all the panic-driven stunts I have yet to do.
(photo found under Google Images under "premenopausal woman)
20 comments:
Well, I am so glad everyone is okay. I have the pregnancy hormones that I am dealing with which is similar, I worry a lot, cry often, and I get hot too. Sure, I will be done with mine in about 4 months, but then I'll be postpartum. AHHHH, the things we women have to deal with.
Oh my goodness. I hate to admit that I have freak out moments like that one ALL THE TIME. I sometimes wonder if I'm normal or not. Then I just forgot about it and keep on keeping on.
Good luck with the next few years. hehehe. At least you have SILs to commiserate with!
Oh dear! I loved your description of your freak out--all the stuff you couldn't face without him. I have had those same thoughts. And I even thought, "It's not that I can't survive without him, it's just that I don't WANT to!" I bet you really appreciated the rest of your Sunday morning together!
So glad hubby was OK. I don't envy you with 3 kids learning to drive in the next few years.
Wow. I do the same thing. I have even called hospital emergency rooms and outlined the funeral arrangements in my head. What a relief that I'm not the only one!
That's pretty neat how the first two commenters have pregnancy hormones right now. I always sailed thru preg with no hormonal freak outs (my hubs has no idea how lucky he is) but after the baby is born? let's just say I had let-down with my tear ducts. I was a hormonal mess.
Becky--I thought this too: Before he went to get the newspaper I was still in bed and he came over and kissed me bye. So part of my freak out visions included that this was our last conversation, our last moment.
Peach Tart--I will be in a perpetual state of panic...but I know other moms have survived before me!
Lawyer Mom--Oh my, now that I have not done....yet! I will let Hubs know that I will do that next time so he'd better take his cell phone with him next time he decides to do errands at 8:30 a.m. on a Sunday.
Oh Lord, honey. You have SO much to look forward to.
First off, let me say that Mr. Moon has pulled this sort of stunt on me before, too. And I HATE it and he always has forgotten his cell phone when it happens. I freak and yes, I go through every scenario too and it's not good.
So I'm with you there.
And I am WELL into the menopause years and menopause kicked my ass and I am on medication because I went so crazy with anxiety that I really and truly wanted to die last year.
Frankly, I do not think women are supposed to live this long. And children weren't supposed to drive, either.
Good luck. See my back posts for many helpful hints and insights into the joy of the change. Then hang your head and weep.
But maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and it won't be that bad. I hope so.
I am almost ALWAYS cold, but I have found myself waking up lately, kicking off the cover and taking off my shirt because I am so darn hot! I'm kind of looking forward to hot flashes. (I may regret saying that later!)
I just sent an e-mail to a friend about how they should warn the young ladies of this world to do the freakin' math when they decide to "postpone" being a mommy until they have a career, etc.
When my parents were 40, they had one leaving for college and another driving for about a year(me).
The week of my 40th birthday, my current 3-year-old will be starting kindergarten.
WTH?!!
I don't know what's funnier, the post or the comments to it! Ah, the joys, fears, and frustrations of being a female ... and a wife ... and a mother! Good luck with all that!
"(I really need to pick my audience better)."
Hahahahahahaha! Good luck with that in a male household.
Appreciated and enjoyed this post.
Weeeel, no doubt about hormones sucking but all men seem to hit home depot unannounced while on a simple errand and it's worrying at any age.
Hi, I loved your post, and have had similar hormonal based freakouts involving late school busses, bad weather and sirens. It takes a while to come down from those! Our hormone stories are very similar too, mild pregnancy followed by post partum weepy mahem. I was young when the peri hit, and doctors told me I was too young (wrong!) and put me on antidepressants (wrong again!) I begged for hormones, and I'm glad noone would give them to me, it seems they really ramp up the cancer risk and I've enough of that to spare. Anyway, fyi, I started all the symptoms at 42, periods stopped 3 years later, I'm 8 years into the hotflashes, and hanging on to my sanity every which way I can. Hormones are evil.
Ms. Moon is right, we weren't supposed to live this long! And it's nice to have honest people talk about the hormonal depression, it's petrifying, especially if there are young ones in the house - oh the guilt! It's a long haul from crazy mom to happy old lady, that much I know.
And Em, you can do it! I put my last baby (Em!) on the bus to kindergarten when I was 42. She's much taller than me now, and we're doing OK.
Thanks for a great post, and wonderful comments!
Oh, I wish I could blame hormones for my worries. Hey, wait, I can finally blame something for being so neurotic. Thanks for this!
Oh GOOD LUCK!
And your two oldest constantly contradict each other too? Glad to know it is not just mine. And glad that your husband was fine, but seriously, hormones or not, I might have done the same thing.
Ms. Moon—Thanks for your insight. I have been reading your past posts on this and other things— your writing is SO helpful and cathartic to me.
Under the Influence—Years ago at work these two ladies around age 50 had hot flashes and I wished I wasn’t so cold. In years past Hubs was hot and I had to bundle up. Now we’ve switched as we’ve aged.
Em—I’ve thought this same thing last week! I am glad for the many years I had with Hubs sans kids but middle schoolers are wearing me out at the same hormonal time that I lack energy. : ( I birthed last boy at age 38. I always seemed much younger than my real age but it’s caught up!!
Wander—You sound relaxed. You’ve been thru this and now are enjoying gorgeous grandsons. I love that.
Midlife—Good point about home only being a male audience! Blogging sure does give me what I need from women friends.
Honeypiehorse—This has actually helped me accept that every time he leaves the house to assume there’ll be a Lowes or Home Depot stop included.
Mel—I loved your comment. I never thought this process would start in my 40’s. My mom told me “the women in our family start menopause late”. I had some very upsetting job layoff experiences a few years ago and I know it threw my system into a spin.
Patois—a good friend of mine has started this process a couple years ahead of me. I have seen the light with her help that so much is due to hormones. Tired? Hormones. Down? Hormones. In the mood for hankypanky? Hormones. Want to kill him if he touches me? Hormones. Standing up more for myself and not taking crap? Hormones.
Fast Lane—They bickered last night at dinner and then again this a.m…..which is supposed to be my only quiet time for 45 mins before I go to work. I didn’t even have coffee yet and they were at it. I told them from now on one will start getting ready upstairs while the other one eats b’fast and then they’ll switch.
well that picture was a DELIGHTFUL surprise at the end! glad your husband was ok. hormones are a beast - i still get zits in my 20s yet my boobs are heading south... where's this mythical point where everything is meant to even out??!
and the 80s party? yes yes yes. ninja turtles arcade game and "total eclipse of the heart", what more could you want with your mojitos?!
I've had freak outs like that before. Not due to hormones, but rather just over dramatization on my part. I am enjoying your blog.
Hormones are THE worst. Since age 11, they have been trying to kick my butt. Pregnancy? Nightmare. PMS? Rollercoaster of misery. I'm just learning how to ride it a little better over the years (vodka.)
So while I def don't wish your hormones on you I am grateful to have your words of wisdom on it all a little before it attacks me.
And I totally have those moments allllll the time. Like just this morning kissing the girls bye before they got on the bus. sigh!
I wasn't too freaked out(despite my own occasional seats and anxieties) until I saw the picture of the freakshow peri-menopause woman.
Although her problem looked to be more like hyperthyroidism to me.
Post a Comment