My youngest son who is in third grade had his only field trip of the year last week. The destination was The World of Coca-Cola (since Coke was invented here in
At the end of the field trip day I spoke to my husband, which is the usual routine, to check in on what is going on that evening—who has to be where and when or is nothing going on. He tells me that our youngest son (who is with him in the afternoons) is a little upset because there was a souvenir that he didn’t get. So I am thinking-hmmm, that’s weird, I knew nothing about bringing money for a souvenir. Well, what happened is that each teacher was given a box of glass-bottled Cokes to take back to the classroom and give to the students. Once back at the classroom there was about an hour left of school for the day. At the end of the day the teacher told the students that instead of handing them out she was going to give the box of Cokes to charity. For reals.
In the meantime the students saw that the other six classes went home with their souvenir Coke bottle. So instead of hearing about the field trip deets, the first thing my Hubs heard, and then later on the phone to me, is an upset son giving us this news. Seems the teacher is still deciding what to do because after the weekend the students were asking her again if they would be getting the Cokes and she said she is thinking of giving them to Relay for Life or selling them and then she tried to engage them in a math problem such as “if there are 47 bottles and each sold for $ .50 then how much would that be? So my son is asking us if he can take in $ .50 to buy one. (ummm, I think we were one of the few in the class who paid the $18 field trip money).
I pasted this from the facility's website under school field trips:
A visit to this dynamic facility will be educational, entertaining and inspiring for the whole class. From a thrilling multisensory 4-D theater to a marvelously restored 1880’s soda fountain, you’ll experience something new and inviting around every corner. You and your students have so much to learn and will also take home
a special one-of-a-kind World of Coca-Cola glass bottle produced exclusively for our guests on our fully-functioning bottling line.
The other evening my son and I were in the grocery store at the Coke aisle (that is what soft drinks are called in Georgia: Coke is the generic name for all soda) and saw six-packs of the small glass-bottled Cokes, VERY similar to the souvenir, and cost about $5.00. I have contemplated buying them and sending them in for the class. There will be a Spring party in a couple of weeks that I will probably end up coordinating—I should bring them in then!
In my adult brain, full of other tragic stories in our day to day world, this is annoying small-stuff, but not to my son and the 17 other kids in the class. To him it is a big teacher fail—and honestly extremely oddball to my Hubs and I (one of his comments: the kid works too hard for this...). I’m sure tonight I will hear another update on the latest because I know these students know something wishy-washy is going on and I have no doubt a student will ask the teacher again for an update. Not sure of my next steps yet--I'm giving it a couple more days.
10 comments:
What is WRONG with that teacher??? Doesn't she realize how disappointed all the kids must be, esp after seeing all the other classes take their Coke bottles home? What a MEANIE!
SO WRONG on so many LEVELS!
Why is she not giving the kiddos' the sodas? Cuz if it is all about the soda, then dammit don't go to a soda museum!
I would have been a little pissed off...especially since the COKE field trip mentions this as a souvenir for kiddo's...a one of a kind souvenir.
REally...I would love to know the teachers reasoning...and why on earth would she think selling them would be okay...or donating them...i bet your guy was not the only disappointed one!
This just makes me shake my head in disbelief and disgust...UGH!
OH MY GOSH!!! That is insane!! I am not the interfering mom type and I sense you are not either but can't you just email the teacher and say "Uh c'mon - give the kids their Coke bottles!!!"
If she wants to do a fundraiser - do it another way! Do you think she sold them already?
If it were me, I would definitely send an email at least....
Please let us know how it all turns out....
:-)
Ugh! I am so irritated on your (and the boy's) behalf.
For one thing, the cokes aren't the teacher's to give to charity. And she just sounds like a goofball.
I think sending in glass cokes for everybody would be an awesome gesture (and like, in your face teach)! Of course the class is disappointed, geez!
The next step is to object by email IMMEDIATELY to the teacher for basically stealing and holding hostage the souvenir cokes that were intended for the kids! What the hell is she thinking? Send an email tonight so she'll see it by morning, and if she doesn't give them their coke you should talk to the principal. Seriously, this is just grossly poor judgement on her part and she HAS NO RIGHT TO DO THAT. Don't let her get away with it because it is just.not.fair on so many levels.
I'm with Becky. Bring in the Cokes. That teacher was a jerk.
Okay, speaking as a teacher, I can sort of understand what the teacher is trying to do, but I would never do it. There are other ways for her to show the kids how to be philanthropists and fundraise or be of service. Here's what I say works: parents complaining. Okay, now, I don't like it when parents complain, but they have a right to, and if I don't have my s*** together, then I better get it together fast, that's my job. So, crazy teacher, get your s*** together and give those kids THEIR souvenirs. They're THEIR souvenirs, not YOURS, beyach!
This is all just cuckoo talk to me. What could she possibly be thinking? I'm with the others on the point that you've got to let her know, in the PC language of the world, that she is a cuckoo and needs to get her cuckoo claws off of the bottles and hand them out.
Oh good Lord. The cokes were given to the CHILDREN. They weren't the teachers to give away. Was she making some kind of a judgement against the unhealthy nutrition of the Cokes? Poor kids. Somebody needs to tell that woman this, and get those bottles for those kids. They can then do some kind of a fundraiser for charity. Maybe they could collect EMPTY bottles, turn them in for recycling and give the money to charity. A charity of the KIDS choice, not the teachers.
I'm sorry, but I think this is wrong on so many levels. Have any parents talked to the teacher? She should just hand out the damn coke bottles and donate some money to charity on her own! I mean really, she's being obnoxious if you ask me! And regardless, I think it would be great for you to bring in those coke bottles to the party in a few weeks. Just don't serve her one!
Post a Comment