Monday, February 23, 2009

I Can See Clearly Now....Thanks HDTV!


Sunday night I realized the true beauty of our HDTV. The TV is not brand new—we bought it over a year ago. I really didn’t understand the need at the time. Nor why the same program will be on channel 803 and channel 3, for example.

On Sunday night I watched Ryan Seacrest chat up the stars on the Red Carpet. I am not a huge celebrity fan. I think they are over-paid. I think they should help bail out California. I think they think they learned how to be a political activist in acting class. But like many people I’m addicted to watching this annual show. And I like to play plastic surgery detective.

Wait a minute. Ryan is interviewing Kate Winslet and I am a little suspect as to why I can’t see much in the wrinkle department. Her face looked dishearteningly smooth. Hmmmph. My mind was flipping through the pages of Vanity Fair in which she states her husband does not want her getting plastic surgery.

Then Ryan Seacrest’s program ended and I made a loud request for any of my 12, 11 or 8 year old sons to PLEASE switch to the channel for the Oscar show and they obliged.

I was watching more of the same Red Carpet sightings. But what’s this! I now see eye wrinkles on Kate Winslet and she is standing on the very same Red Carpet. And on Amy Adams too. We talking about a lot of eye wrinkles at their present ages of 33 and 34. “Some celebrities are not happy with HDTV”, advised my husband after I announced to the entire house that I was seeing Wrinkles on Stars on this HDTV channel (I really need some girlfriend time).

I am anxious for these beautiful actors who have not been nipped, tucked and injected (or what do I know maybe they all have had stuff done already). What will they do in their 40’s? And notice I am not reflecting on the wrinkles galore on the faces of 40-somethings Robert Downey, Jr. and Sean Penn, etc. because it is so different being a male actor apparently. Although I think Brad Pitt has had Some Work.

Aside thoughts about last night’s show:

· I felt awkward for Jennifer Aniston (for both her new face and the whole ex-Pitt situation)
· Would it have killed Sean Penn to thank his wife?
· Why is Jessica Biel presenting? I wonder if her dress is hiding a pregnancy.
· It was nice how five former winners in categories acknowledged the nominees.
· I find it refreshing that Slumdog Millionaire won without any major stars

And now I have some major HDTV sized wrinkles on top of the usual ones from staying up so late.

8 comments:

Laura said...

As a person who was at the Oscars, I could NOT take my eyes off of Brad and Angie while Jennifer was presenting...and she was RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. My friends hubby, who was in the truck with the production team, said that this years director kept calling out the cameras to take shots of Angie while Jennifer was up therer...over and over again. Gotta love Hollywood.

my adventures after said...

Since your comment about Angelina a while back, I have noticed that she has had some work done, and you could definitely see that at the Oscars. I thought it was funny when Brad would laugh at Hugh's stupid jokes, and it made me think how pathetic these people really are, or how pathetic we have made them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Hollywood and always have, have lived here all my life and will still wreck three cars and mow down eight pedestrians to get a glimpse of someone in their Porsche who MIGHT be someone, went to Westlake for six years where celeb (aka "parents") sightings were routine, and love it when I occassionally meet one of them only to find them very nice, but...I just kept laughing and laughing during those awards, at the awkward deliveries, Hugh's cute but stupid opening number, at the glimpses of stars' reactions to what was on stage, at their teary-eyed-ness (remember, people, they're ACTORS!). I guess menopause has just made me skeptical. But...you can put as many wrinkles on Robert Downey Jr.'s face as you want to, honey, he's da bomb!

Michele R said...

My Adventures,
Your comment had me LOL this a.m. I almost spewed my coffee. I wish I was there mowing down cars with you. I like RDJ too. Could not stand Gwneth in Ironman. She's had work alla round her eyes this year. It is so wild that these people have all this Work done in their 30's.

Becky said...

Okay, what I have been trying to ask for the last two days is: has Jennifer Aniston had something done? I did watch in HD, but I didn't see her part of the show. But I confess I did freeze frame on Angelina's face, but I only thought her forehead (now nearly a fivehead) looked overly smooth.

And even in HD Jessica Biel is perfection. And I liked her dress. When you're that hot, you can wear just about any silhouette you want, in my humble O.

my adventures after said...

Becky,

LOL: "fivehead". I am peeing my pants right now.

Michele R said...

I had to read the "fivehead twice". You are a riot. OMG, yes, Aniston has had work done about a year ago. her nose has changed so much I can't even keep track. Her eyes have been lifted. The face has been tightened (she had some extra "puffy areas" around mouth like I do). I noticed it when she did a campaign that was in magazines--b/w and laying on her stomach. I find Biel really boring so I guess I don't analyze her face much -- too distracted by her lips. She has an apple figure I guess so feel a little bad that about much speculation on her pooch in front. But she's young. I like to pick on the older gals who need to admit they have work done to keep up with the roles. And Jolie is doing another movie. So much for "I'm not gonna do movies now and just be a mom".

Madame Queen said...

I tried to comment the other day but never could get it to "take" and now I've forgotten what I said. BUT, I thoroughly enjoyed the Oscars, but it made me realize how much better the men look than the women -- or at least the men who have let themselves age a little. I don't like plastic. And speaking of having work done, have you SEEN Kellie Pickler lately? She looks like Phyllis Diller. Scary. And sad.

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog today. I needed to hear that at that moment and it made me feel so much better.

Michele R said...

Madame Queen,
Thanks for your nice note here. I like how you stated the men looked good who've let themselves age. About Kellie Pickler. I noticed about a year ago she must be in the grooming to be the next Dolly Parton--they had even met each other and were working on something together. I do see what you mean about Phyllis Diller. Tonite I watched Amr idol and they showed her initial audition. So sweet and natural.