We still have contractors at our house who needed to do some touch up paint on one side of the garage where some extra caulking had to be done. We went with this professional contractor business as opposed to a one-man company (we've been there before). In my previous post I told the story of how Hubs showed the contractor the molding at the end of our garage where I've measured the boys for the past FOUR YEARS. The contractor acknowledged that it was special stuff and he instructed the crew not to paint over the whole section. Here is the photo again from my last post:

Today I get home from work and I park in the driveway (usually I pull into the garage). The Hubs comes out to greet me and glances to the left at the molding in the garage and says, "Holy Shit (first time I've sweared on my blog) I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! "
The new, darker colored paint for the molding on our house now covers the FOUR YEARS OF GROWTH measurements of our three sons. Here it is NOW:

I could not believe it.
I'm ranting and raving in the driveway, the boys come outside, and as the shock wears off the tears are spilling and I got so angry. Hubs called the contractor and got the secretary and told her the upsetting news and I'm yelling in the background. Then I went to the computer and emailed the contractor the photo that shows how nicely they had originally left it, letting them have a visual of the 4 years of memories that I could have saved another way and let them know I was working on a compensation figure.
A few minutes later Hubs found the contractor's cell phone number and called him at home--he'd already heard. Hubs says, "You've got kids, right? Well, you don't even want to talk to Michele right now. In fact she was so thrilled how it was originally handled that she even took a photo and she has a blog and wrote about it."
Contractor told Hubs whatever they need to do to fix it, to make it right....they'll do.....and that the leader guy would come over to try and remove the paint for starters. I don't think so--the markings were in pencil. It blows my mind that someone took the time to mark this off and now someone else on the crew paints over it.
Of course in the scheme of things I am happy to have healthy boys who can stand and be measured every couple months for the PAST FOUR YEARS, and I am so happy to have a blog to make it all feel better. The boys have just now tried to make me feel better by saying they will all get measured tonight on an actual board.
I am so upset. I should get the Nobel Peace Prize if I can refrain from assaulting the painter who did this. What was he thinking???!!!
I loved all of your comments so much about the sentimentality and the family rituals of marking the kids' growth.
One day they will be grown up and live somewhere else and they'll be the heights they end up being and they will live their lives not knowing and not caring too much about how tall they were in 4th grade or 6th grade or how the Youngest was the same height in 3rd grade as the Oldest was at end of 4th grade, etc. It won't really matter in the big, big scheme of things. But I am very upset. And now I am going to seriously market a shiny, painted white, tall board for families to use to chart the kids' growth so that moving homes and painting over walls will not break hearts, amongst all the growing pains.
Will keep you posted.
Update: It has now been an hour since the phone calls and the foreman leader guy is over here at 7:00 p.m. getting the paint off. Too bad I didn't use a permanent Sharpie pen for my markings.
21 comments:
Ah, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm surprised they've actually showed up to fix it rather than just saying - oh,well.
Let us know how it turns out.
Oh no!
Do you have a history of their heights over the years? Maybe you can retrace some of it and remark the board?
Oh Michele, I'm so sorry! What happened? Did somebody just forget? Was it someone who hadn't been around when the work was first done?
I would be so upset too. Though, you're right, thankfully, you have the boys home with you still, and they're still growing. I hope they can get the paint off!
I would feel the same way.
Heartbreaking to lose memories.
Oh Michele!!!
Maybe you can get some of the marks from the photo?
Is it bad to say I kinda feel sorry for the guy who did it too? You know his wife is going to give him HELL.
The moveable board idea is brilliant.
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I've had similar disappointments of a sentimental nature, and it's truly like a sucker punch to the gut because it's so permanent and there are no do-overs. I had decided to do something like this with my grandsons after your last post, so now I know to attach a separate board, painted white, and in permanent marker! Hopefully you will have good news tomorrow, but even if they can't remove the paint, you CAN start over, and even though it won't be the same, and it will still be special.
This totally, totally sucks.
Best that I leave you to be sad and stop at that. Otherwise I'd go into lawyer mode and start hypothesizing about all sorts of stuff -- what are your damages, blah blah blah. And no one wants that.
But I'm sure sorry about this unnecessary deletion of your carefully protected kids' chart. What contractor, no matter what language he speaks, doesn't get that? I mean, really!
Glad to hear you've at least got photographs to show, maybe a little, anyway, the markers and graduations in height.
Goes to show - people just don't listen - I would be mad too.
Love to you.
Kelly
http://www.ivebecomemymother.com
That's awful. And you are so more deserving of the prize.
I am so, so sorry. Please keep us posted.
Oh you poor thing!!! I don't know what else to say. That's just HORRIBLE!
I am so sorry.
I read that and my heart broke for you!
Sorry sorry!
This bums me out all over again, Ack!!
I gave you a blog award, please stop by when you can for the details, thank you. I have a DIY Guilt Free Award zone btw, thanks so much.
Ugh - I wonder what the painters thought it was all marked off separately for! I hope they were able to remove the paint :(
It helped a lot to share this and read your kind comments, thanks!
Friday at 7:00 p.m. the painting foreman used a spray can of paint remover and a rag for about 25 mins and it is like carefully unearthing a fossil or something because it takes a long, long time. He worked on a small area of the molding and the paint is partially removed in rough patches. This will take hours. I think eventually I’ll be able to get some markings. Turns out it’s a good thing I used pencil as it does not remove lead. As of this moment no one has been back to continue the work. Knowing I can eventually get some of the markings and dates made things better. And then the next day things got worse--in the carpentry dept. We had carpenters over on Saturday installing a cricket on top of our screened porch to help with water/rainflow…...and they put on new shingles and we now have nails poking through a good part of our sunporch ceiling. The sunporch that we had built a few years ago--the one that we wanted to be again enjoying by now. Workers, you were not hammering into an attic! Company owner comes over tomorrow.
Came over to see if there was any good news.
Glad to find a little :-)
Though I'm desperately sorry about your sun porch. You know how I feel about porches. THIS better be made right.
oh my gosh, i am soooo sorry to see this. it really IS hard to believe that after the first preservation of the measurements some moron painted over it. it's awful.
your house reminds me of mine and actually, we did our measurements in the garage so i will make sure to preserve ours.
i am very interested to read about how they plan to make this right.
I've moved several times in the past few years, so we didn't have such a spot in our home. But I'm wondering if you could take a long 2x4 and mark it with the measurements from your doctor's visits? I know it's not the same, but...
Sorry this happened to you.
FF--Get this, I am writing out a new post at this minute and in it I say that I realized I can get copies of my kids' files from the pediatrician. We have not seen her much over the past two years but there should be enough dates in there in the past to recreate on a new board.
Thanks for your comments everyone--they have truly helped me work this out.
Ack! I couldn't believe it! But glad it's getting worked out a little.
It's nice to hear that the painter is really making an effort, too.
Home improvement/hiring contractors is pretty much a guaranteed test of character and patience, is it not? We've had some awful luck in that department, too.
So good luck! This too shall pass ;)
Post a Comment